An inexpensive, lockable box big enough, at least, to hold 5 blister packs needed.

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
Please, does anyone have any bright ideas? I tried Social Services for help without any success but they said I could try asking her GP. Haven't managed to do that yet but was unsure if this would be any help?? I've tried looking on Amazon and generally googling around but everything seems either too expensive or not big enough.
I have been using an unlocked big box on a a higher up kitchen shelf labelled "Carers' Box" but caught my mother getting down the box this morning to take her Alendronic Acid tablet (that nightmare dementia tablet) and saying she always dosed her medication herself! I had actually hidden the tablet in her bathroom cabinet for her to find after first being instructed to PHONE AS SOON AS YOU GET UP.....so that I could give her the instructions. (I gave up on the carer's giving the tablet as it just wasn't working. Roll on the bone density scan to see if she can get off this one!)
But mostly now I am concerned about her pulling down the Carers Box and thinking she might might be quite capable of medicating any of her other tablets herself.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Something like

Plenty to choose from

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
Thanks but sorry - maybe I need to be more specific about size. One of her blister packs measures 25.1cm x 15.5cm and the depth of each pack is about 1.5 cm.
So I need, at the very least - 25.1 cm by 15.15 cm by 7.5 cm at the very least internal measurements. I just thought someone else might have the same problem.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Depends what you mean by inexpensive
Large Size: length 30.5cm, width19cm , Internal height 16.5cm;

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
Maybe I'm what's referred to as a "cheapskate" but yes, it seems a bit steep. I could even have heavy duty plastic as long as I could put a lock on it somehow. Thanks anyway for trying.

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
hi @Muttimuggle
how about a lockable suitcase ... your mother may not work out that her meds are kept in it, if she doesn't see it being opened
That's a good idea! Even a sort of smallish vanity case, even with a zip, which could have a lock put on, might do. I will look into that one. Anything too big will not fit into the kitchen cupboard. I don't actually think she would attempt to open something that has a lock attached.

JHA

Aug 7, 2021
A cash box, a vanity case with either a pin padlock or key padlock, a small drop file case again with a padlock.

HMK1806

Jan 10, 2022
You may have found a solution but we bought a lockable plastic box from Lockabox for Mum's blister packs. It fits 5 blister packs in and has a combination lock. We bought an opaque one because she would be agitated if she could see the blister packs inside. They do various ones and they aren't expensive.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thanks but sorry - maybe I need to be more specific about size. One of her blister packs measures 25.1cm x 15.5cm and the depth of each pack is about 1.5 cm.
So I need, at the very least - 25.1 cm by 15.15 cm by 7.5 cm at the very least internal measurements. I just thought someone else might have the same problem.
Why not a safe? They should fit in there and it would be difficult for her to get her tablets out as she would need a combination. You can get safes for houses that aren’t huge.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Muttimuggle we used a small plastic toolbox which opened from the top. The base fitted the dosette boxes and the opening out lid had small compartments that fitted any extras as MIL is on meds from the hospital that can't go in the dosette.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
We used a combination lock briefcase.
On it I put a large sign, "In case of difficulties, phone me on 0777xxxxxxx"
The combination was set to the first 6 numbers of phone number. The Carer didn't have to write anything down, hidden in plain sight.
Father never did cotton on.

Bod.

Suzyw

Oct 24, 2017
I have a number of patients who have a small tool box with a padlock
They’re not expensive. Or you could ask mums Gp to refer to the medication management team who can assess her safety and possibly loan a locked box until you can purchase one
Good luck

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I got a big metal box from Amazon for mum’s meds and can’t remember the name of it, but it locks and was reasonably priced. It might have been described as Deed Box (?). I’m making dinner, but will try to find it and post here. It’s quite large.

edit: i was wrong, it’s a petty cash box! plenty big enough, you just remove the plastic tray inside (tray just drops in and out, not attached at all). Don’t think I can Provide a link but put the following into Amazon search:

iGadgitz Home U7171 Petty Cash Box with Keys and Coin Tray, Petty Cash Tin, Money Tin -Black -12" (30cm)

Last edited:

Katiekunzle

Dec 2, 2019

Check this out at Amazon:
Lockabox One™ | Compact and Hygienic Lockable Box for Food, Medicines and Home Safety (Opal White)
I got one for Mum. It has a simple combination lock which meant she couldn't get into it, only the carer and I had the number. Measurements are 31cm x 21cm x 17cm so should be ok for what you need. Cost is £29.95, a bit expensive but it was worth it for the peace of mind xx​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23