Amanda

Pussy galore

Sep 17, 2013
Essex
Hi all
I'm new to this site so not really sure where to start as have not talked about my feelings since my mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia in march of this year.

Unfortunately things have just become worse as my dad has just passed away leaving mum totally on her own in the family home in which myself and my brothers grew up in.

Her feelings of loss and bereavement are made worse because of her dementia and
myself and my brother have often found her crying, looking completely lost, lonely and extremely confused.

We are also grieving for the loss dad which is now emphasised by the worry of mum. We know she is safe as we have carers in place, it's just her state of mind that is so upsetting to see and we don't know what else to do that a we are not already doing.

Has any of you been in this situation or does anyone know if bereavement can cause dementia to worsen?

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi and welcome to TP

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and your mum's grief.

My friend's dad is in a similar position, having recently lost his wife (her mum) and my friend is finding it difficult. At the moment she is visiting a lot, spending some nights there, to keep him company, but the family is looking for a solution. Her dad wants my friend to move in with him permanently, despite the fact that she has her own family!

Sorry, I don't have direct experience of this, so can't advise. There are many wise people here who can though, so hopefully they will be along to help you soon.

xx