Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Brian seems to be sleeping for England at the moment - well, yesterday and to-day:

He got home from the Day Centre at two o'clock and slept for three hours in the afternoon. After tea he slept from eight 'til ten o'clock and then insisted on going to bed. As some of you will know, he gets up anything between three and six times a night to go to the loo or (in the case of yesterday morning he had got himself dressed, breakfasted, had a cup of coffee and was in hat, coat and gloves and taking the chain off the front door - at 2.50 a.m.) to be ready for the Day Centre 'bus. I do not like him going off to bed too early in hopes that he will sleep a bit longer ....

So - plenty of sleep yesterday. This morning, after having made trips to the loo six or seven times, I lost count, (and I hid his clothing), he slept in until twenty to ten, which is pretty well unheard of for him. I got him down to breakfast in his dressing-gown and he was still sleepy. He said so. He had not showered for several days so it seemed like a good day to do it - pouring with rain and no appointments to keep or shopping to do - so we got that out of the way. And then he went to sleep again, from about midday to two o'clock.

He woke to go to the loo and I suggested lunch. He ate his lunch and sat down again in his armchair - and went straight to sleep. Now I am a great fan of sleep as being a restorative, good for the system, etc. etc. - but is this a bit too much? When awake, he is still a bit groggy, as though not properly awake, but not leaning, as when he has a TIA, not hunting for words, nothing out of the ordinary I can spot - but we've barely spoken all day other than my helping him to shower, make his breakfast and lunch.

Please tell me not to worry ....

Love, Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Nan, have you checked for UTI?

If there's no infection, it may just be that Brian is tired -- could the cay centre be becoming too much for him?

I don't know. John certainly sleeps for most of the time, but he's much further on. It could just be normal progression.

If the sleepiness continues over the weekend, I'd check with GP/CPN.

Can't tell you not to worry, it goes with the territory!:eek:

Love,

Rachell

Jul 6, 2009
bedfordshire
Hi xx

I'm my Grandads carer, we go through phases.. a couple of weeks he will sleep jus fine then the next few weeks he doesnt sleep at all and sometimes he sleeps ALL the time! ... he can get up at lunch time sleep in his arm chair pretty much all day then say he wants to go bed at 6is or 7ish.. which is sometimes good for me as i can do more things and am free to do it but i know that this is normally followed by him not sleeping at all !

so i dont think you should worry.. but maybe u should ask the doctor .. it couldnt hurt? and might put ur mind at rest xxx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Thank you so much, Hazel. I had not thought of an infection. Is there any way of knowing a UTI is present? Is there any discomfort?

Have just heard the downstairs loo light go on so must skip down and check up on him. Make some tea, too, perhaps.

Yes, if the sleepiness goes on through the weekend, I will definitely get in touch with our GP. Thanks again.

Love, Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Nan

Has Brian had a change of routine during the past few days, something requiring a bit more energy than usual? That could be one reason for his sleeping. Another could be he is fighting off infection. Or he is simply having an `off day`.

Dhiren often has days when he sleeps more than others and there is no explanation.

You could check for a UTI just to be on the safe side , but if not, as long as it doesn`t go on for days, I wouldn`t worry.

He could also be having a downturn.

We keep looking for reasons but let`s face it, all our men have a progressive illness and things are bound to deteriorate.

If you`re really concerned after a couple of days, see if you can speak to the GP.

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Is there any way of knowing a UTI is present? Is there any discomfort?
You have two questions there Nan. From my experience (1) it was only ever observation when Lionel was at home, (2) and cannot tell about discomfort, as even with Uti's every incident can present differently.

Are you able to collect a urine sample from Brian? Not always easy, but invaluable if you do feel the need to inform the GP.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Ther's never any sign of UTI with John except change in behaviour. Sometimes there's raised temperature, or smelly urine, and you could check those. If not, try to get a sample on Monday morning and ask them send it for culture.

Unfortunately, it's weekend again -- isn't it always, when we need help?:(

Hopefully by Monday though, your worries will be over. But don't hesitate if you're still worried.

Love,

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Thank you all so much for your replies. When I went down at tea-time he seemed very much more alert and with it. We had a chat and tea and a bit of Christmas cake and I carried the tray out to the kitchen thinking "Oh, he's back with me now." When I walked back into the lounge he was fast asleep again ... Good idea about the urine sample. If he's still sleeping almost non-stop over the weekend, I will take him to the surgery on Monday. Thank you again. Love, Nan XXX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My Bill is now a massive sleepy head. He would stay in bed all day if I let him. Izzy x

Ladywriter1968

Oct 2, 2009
London UK
maybe certains situations

Brian seems to be sleeping for England at the moment - well, yesterday and to-day:

He got home from the Day Centre at two o'clock and slept for three hours in the afternoon. After tea he slept from eight 'til ten o'clock and then insisted on going to bed. As some of you will know, he gets up anything between three and six times a night to go to the loo or (in the case of yesterday morning he had got himself dressed, breakfasted, had a cup of coffee and was in hat, coat and gloves and taking the chain off the front door - at 2.50 a.m.) to be ready for the Day Centre 'bus. I do not like him going off to bed too early in hopes that he will sleep a bit longer ....

So - plenty of sleep yesterday. This morning, after having made trips to the loo six or seven times, I lost count, (and I hid his clothing), he slept in until twenty to ten, which is pretty well unheard of for him. I got him down to breakfast in his dressing-gown and he was still sleepy. He said so. He had not showered for several days so it seemed like a good day to do it - pouring with rain and no appointments to keep or shopping to do - so we got that out of the way. And then he went to sleep again, from about midday to two o'clock.

He woke to go to the loo and I suggested lunch. He ate his lunch and sat down again in his armchair - and went straight to sleep. Now I am a great fan of sleep as being a restorative, good for the system, etc. etc. - but is this a bit too much? When awake, he is still a bit groggy, as though not properly awake, but not leaning, as when he has a TIA, not hunting for words, nothing out of the ordinary I can spot - but we've barely spoken all day other than my helping him to shower, make his breakfast and lunch.

Please tell me not to worry ....

Love, Nan XXX

Maybe the day care centre he is associating with going to other places, or maybe getting mixed up with that association and shopping.

Also I found with my dad in the care home he had packed all his clothing in shopping bags, so we took them away. So if you have any shopping bags on show or a suitcase you keep somewhere, try to hid them away somewhere else if you can, I know its not easy but just in case he starts packing one night or in the night like my dad did.

As for the lock, I wonder if there is such a thing as a child lock on front door to stop him letting himself out like that. I hope I have been of some help if any.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Brian is still sleeping at every opportunity - but having just read Ladywriter's post a penny has just dropped: you said perhaps he is muddling the Day Centre with going somewhere else and I think you have hit the nail on the head. He has several times just lately said that "I am thinking of giving up work" and I, thinking he had just dropped back in time (as happens frequently) remind him that he in fact retired from work some 12 years ago. But there have been a few times when he has said "I'm off to work" when waiting for the Day Centre 'bus. Perhaps he is simply finding the morning and lunch there too much. At home he would normally have a sleep between eight and two o'clock but there he never does. I think I will perhaps ring them and suggest he be given the opportunity to sit in a slightly quieter room where he could shut his eyes for a bit - even half an hour would refresh him, I am sure.

I have an alarm on the front door so he is never able to leave the house without my realising it - I carry the back door key in my pocket for most of the day. (And I hid his clothes merely to stop him from getting dressed in the middle of the night, which he has done three times this last week. It does work - if he can't find them, he just gets back into bed after a trip to the loo.)

Thank you, Ladywriter, for helping me understand what he was telling me.

Love, Nan XXX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba