Am I right in thinking this is "medium band" nursing care?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I just got a call from a nurse at the NHS indicating she had carried out an assessment on my mother, and determined that she need 24 hour access to a registered nurse because of her complex heath needs (continence, feeding, skin condition, medication, mobility, safety) but that her condition was considered stable. She's mailing me the evaluation, so I'll fnd out for certain, but is this the sort of thing that falls into "medium band" nursing care? I think it wouldn't be "high band" because she stressed the stability (well they would wouldn't they).

Jennifer

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
sounds probable to me Jennifer. This is what my mum is on and is due to be reassessed very shortly. She has deteriorated but I get the impression she will still be on medium band. Had a rather fraught telephone discussion with the PCT about it today. The lady I spoke to remembered me from a year ago! :eek:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
noelphobic said:
The lady I spoke to remembered me from a year ago! :eek:

Oh dear, that sounds like me. This nurse told me that she would be revaluating Mummy in 8 weeks, to see if she has remained stable I suppose. She also told me she should have been referred when she was in hospital but they never got a referral. What a surprise!:rolleyes: Every little helps, I suppose. Actually depending on how I feel I may follow this up: is this not payable from the date of assessment (or is it the assessment request)? In which case the assessment was delayed several months. If it's the request date, I probably won't bother as that would be a matter of a month, maybe.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am finding these new procedures, since 2002 when my mother died , most intimidating.

I don`t know how you keep abreast of it all.

I am full of admiration for all of you, who have someone in a home.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I was told by the PCT lady today that there are changes in the offing which mean that in the future there may not be 3 bands of nursing care, just one set payment. She did say that she didn't think any change would apply to people who were assessed before they came in though.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Good grief: how on earth will that work? Having looked at the examples given in the handbook, you can't say that it would be fair that every person gets the same amount, as some people will need considerably more care than others. Why do I suspect that me and mine will be the ones to be short-changed?:mad:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
well, according to the lady I spoike to, the level they would pay at would be in between the current medium and high band. My response was that would be good for those on the medium band (and presumably the lower band) but not those on the higher band. She said she thought it would only apply for new assessments.

We also had a discussion about continuing care and the fact that national criteria were supposed to have been set and are now overdue. I'm sure she knows what my ultimate aim is so has to be careful what she says to me!

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
So somewhere between £83 and £133? Say £100. Well I don't know what the going rate is for nurses on a per hour basis is, but this amount would be around an average of just over £14 a day: I don't think you could get even an hours nursing care for that. That might be enough for my mother's needs since the nurse input is more supervisory than otherwise, but I doubt it would cut it for more complex needs.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
if my mum is assessed as still being on medium band I intend to contest it as a springboard for applying for continuing care. I don't suppose you have to be on the highest band to get continuing care but it would probably help her case.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well it's that word "stable". Frankly, reading the guidelines, I don't see how anyone would qualify for the higher band who wouldn't also qualify for full continuing care, because both require a lack of stability. I did in passing mention that to expect an 89 year old with multiple health problems to be stable was expecting a lot, but ... I mean the very nature of aging means that things change.

Jennifer