Am I going to be able to do this.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Hi White Rose
Thank you for that. It’s interesting you say about the frequency of toilet needs my oh is always looking for a toilet and checking that he can get to one. I never associated it with the tablets I thot it was an age thing for men.There are serious mobility issues and lack of spatial awareness going on with him as well. Tho as of today gp has advised to take him off both donepizil memantine and sertraline. I’m happy to do that and see if anything changes. As you say it appears to be trial and error and no one seems to know what is best advice. I’m loath to take him off memantine completely so will look into 5 mg option after 2 weeks. I hope mobility and special awareness may improve during that time so fingers crossed.
Take care.
Yes fingers crossed for you, don't know if you have a memory clinic who can give you advice? After 4 1/2 years we finally have contact with one, at least we will have when the person we need to speak to is back from holiday! They don't appear to be able to prescribe 5mg of Memantine so I have to cut the 10 mgs in half!

BleuDay

Nov 10, 2016
Sounds as tho u and I are on a similar difficult path.

Because he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s disease he fell between the psychiatric dept of the local hospital and the dementia clinic. He has been seen by a psychiatric consultant for the last 4 years. Apparently the dementia/Alzheimer’s consultant doesn’t see people under the age of 65. The psychiatric consultant is now in the process of handing him over to the A/DC but she is not seeing patients at the min because of corona virus.

I feel so cheated when I look around my friends and family all living life to the full at mid fifties early sixties and here we are stressing over meds the future and whether he will be able to get safely down the stairs today.

I am heartened to hear adjusting the meds made some difference for your oh so we will keep going with that to see if any improvements. Although the gp said that it may be the progression of the illness ....they always know how to burst your bubble of optimism!!!

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
while I'm trying to clean him up then usually urinates on the bathroom floor
I don't know if this would help but I got my partner a plastic urine bottle, it has a large opening, at the first sign that urine is heading for the floor I stick it under, he batted it away at first but seems to have accepted it. Although lately we haven't had any accidents, how long will that last!

PatAnn

Mar 6, 2019
I don't know if this would help but I got my partner a plastic urine bottle, it has a large opening, at the first sign that urine is heading for the floor I stick it under, he batted it away at first but seems to have accepted it. Although lately we haven't had any accidents, how long will that last!
Thankyou I have tried that but when it's coming out both ways I cant hold onto the bottle used it quite a bit in the beginning x

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Thankyou I have tried that but when it's coming out both ways I cant hold onto the bottle used it quite a bit in the beginning x
Oh goodness that's not pleasant, you have my sympathies. Who'd have thought we'd end up untrained and unpaid nurses to our loved ones. Not just nurses but also housekeepers, valets, entertainment managers...... I should have my entertainment hat on currently as he's wandering round with nothing to do but having showered him, cleaned the bathroom and the bits of poo that he has somehow managed to get all over the floor, dressed him, made breakfast, etc. I'm now trying to have a cup of coffee in peace, some hope. Ah well, I guess I'd miss him if he wasn't here!