Am I Going Mad ?

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
Since entering the dementia bubble agreeing and not questioning everything and living in their world I lose the plot especially when my wife is playing up ( not cooperating and fighting ) even though she has limited mobility I find myself talking gibberish and laughing hysterically.
I am not allowed to sing or whistle although I do manage when in the bathroom but wife has sharp hearing and yells at me to stop.
On top of that none of the agencies seem to care any more they just let you get on with it.
Even the diabetes clinic has discharged my wife even though her sugar levels are mostly high.
Am I the only one this is happening to.
Beam me up Scotty !!!!

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Since entering the dementia bubble agreeing and not questioning everything and living in their world I lose the plot especially when my wife is playing up ( not cooperating and fighting ) even though she has limited mobility I find myself talking gibberish and laughing hysterically.
I am not allowed to sing or whistle although I do manage when in the bathroom but wife has sharp hearing and yells at me to stop.
On top of that none of the agencies seem to care any more they just let you get on with it.
Even the diabetes clinic has discharged my wife even though her sugar levels are mostly high.
Beam me up Scotty !!!!

Hi Del24

I'm sorry things are so difficult for you. Do you have any support?

I would speak to GP re. diabetes clinic and ask them to write and say she must be monitored regularly. I would also ask for support for yourself from the GP - sorry if you've already tried that and not got anywhere but do try again if you have.
Best wishes to you
Sue:)

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Beam me up Scotty !!!!

You are not the " only one". It is a dreadful disease. Talk to your doctor please. Write to diabetics clinic ( keep copies). Sugar levels should be monitored. Shout for as much help as you can. Contact SS.

Aisling x

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Awful for you to feel so abandoned Del, and it does sound as though it's getting to you.

Agree you really need some support, and as already suggested,your GP may be the best person to contact in the first instance. I don't know which agencies have failed to help, but perhaps you need to be more demanding!! If you haven't already, find out if there are any carer's support groups in your area, Age UK may also be able to offer advice.
Hope you can find something to make life a little easier.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Beam me up Scotty !!!!

Hi Del24 I know exactly how you feel about not being able to sing.I take my Mum to singing for the brain every wk and she loves it as do I but at home we have to be quiet and speak in a whisper so as not to disturb the other people in our home (Mum and I live alone)it can get so frustrating.
I was offered daycare at a dementia day centre but can't get Mum to go but maybe you could check if there's anything like that for your OH to try.
I've just been told I'm entitled to respite as a carer in different formats and am looking at having a few hours a month with a carer coming to the house initially I will stay at home but hoping if a relationship is built up I could have few hours out alone.It can seem a very lonely place being a carer of a dementia sufferer I felt quite abandoned when the dementia nurse said there was nothing more they could do for Mum and SS said Mums file was closed but Ive got back in touch with them and it would seem they are the people to put you in the direction of any help. Re the diabetes that must be checked on a regular basis get in touch with your GP
I wish you well x

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Have you had a carer's assessment for yourself and has your wife had an assessment?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Where is Scotty when you need him ? I suggest he is in a meeting with all the other caring professionals, or maybe had to go out to an emergency , so has to cancel calling to see you which was JUST a catch-up appointment. He's off into outerspace who knows when or where he will appear again.