Am I being unfair and uncaring to mum?

mywoody

Sep 14, 2011
Hi I'm new to the forum. My in laws moved in with my husband and I in April this year when mum decided she could no longer care for dad (aged 83) who has alzhiemers and parkinsons, mum is 82 and has various longstanding ailments that are controlled ie asthma, angina. They had lived in a retirement apartment for the last 12 years and previously we had lived as one family for 14 years, when they cared for our 2 sons (now 26 and 22) who have now both left home, whilst my husband and I followed our careers.

We are a close family; our home is a detached bungalow where mum and dad have their own small kitchen, newly fitted toilet & walk in shower, large bedroom and a conservatory overlooking the garden which is their lounge. In addition they have their own lovely reupholstered chairs in our family lounge and can move throughout the home at their leisure using our home as their own. They have been able to keep all of their own furniture but I have asked mum not to clutter up our main lounge with too many of her ornaments or pictures as we have a more modern minimalist decor to the style she prefers. We've had special handrails, raised toilet seats and ramps put in so that they can get around more easily and I'm always looking for anything to help dad, I've just bought him a lovely knife, fork and spoon set which helps him to eat more independently.

2 months after they moved in mum was in tears saying she felt like a prisioner because of the demands of looking after dad, even though my husband and I felt that she was already much better off being with us. Every Saturday she goes out all day with friends shopping etc and every Sunday we sat down to a family lunch alone or ocasionally with on of our sons and their partners. Every evening my husband and I help dad to toilet, undress and get in to bed and we're up at 5am every morning on hand to help before going to work full time. So I sat down with mum to look at their finances as they were waiting for their flat to sell so that I reduce my hours to part time and be at home with them more. It became obvious that they had plenty of disposable income so I suggested that they pay my eldest son's partner, who they adore, to become a companion/carer .. it was agreed and for the past 2 months she has been with them for 5 hours every day which means mum can go out to the post office or the local shops on her own and not have to worry about dad.

Everything is going well, dad becomes frailer and more confused every day. I'm still working full time still but their flat has just sold and within the next month I shall be at home every afternoon as well as my daughter in law being there in the mornings.

But mum constantly complains that she is still a 24 hour carer and still a prisioner? She shouts at dad gets annoyed when he doesn't know where the toilet is, annoyed when he puts something in the wrong place, annoyed when he can't remember what she's sent him to the next room to fetch or say to someone. Her idea of caring is to watch TV all day long - which dad has always detested - and then gets in a huff when he gets upset and complains.

I've downloaded information from various websites and sat down with her to quietly discuss things and to try and point her in the right direction, my husband has also tried but he's not very tactful and she gets upset. Her other son also keeps putting his oar in again not very tactfully saying she'd have been better off in her old flat and getting carers and nursing care in as he can't see that she's getting the help she thought she would with us!! She's even alienating her grandsons who cannot believe her attitude to their Grandad and her 'me me me' attitude.

We all know that it's hard on her, she's lost her husband of 62 years, but she's got lots to look forward to with a caring and loving family support network we are always planning ahead to a meal, BBQ, or just going to the shops or for a coffee and leaving dad at home watching a rugby match with one of his grandsons or my husband.

Now dad has become incontinent and when we are there we always help clean his bottom change his pants/pads and clothes and do all the washing, ironing ... we get up in the night if he has an accident and the bed needs changing ... we're always there for mum.

Last week we went on holiday with our youngest son & partner, dad was in hospital for most of the week, our eldest son was on hand and his partner were there every day to take mum hospital visting twice every day and even took her round Aldi, Tesco and Sainsburys anywhere she asked to go. But by the time we got home all hell had broke loose she had called her other son as dad had wet the bed and she just went into flap mode, my daugther in law had already arrived and put the washing on and hung it out to dry but mum kept saying she was coping all alone - needless to say her eldest son was annoyed and thought we were out of order going away and leaving her to cope on her own. He rang my son to tell him so and got short shrift which has caused an upset all round.

Can someone please tell me why mum is being so unreasonable, we bend over backwards to accomodate her, she's much better off now than she was 5 months ago. Dad has settled in lovely, he has his moments but we do laugh and cope really well. I don't regret the move at all and am very happy that I will soon only be working part time and can be at home to keep up to date with all the extra washing, ironing and cleaning and lost sleep :)

I've asked mum to make an appointment with her GP so we can ensure that her health and wellbeing is OK and also talk about the results from his hospitalisation last week and any extra help we can get for dad, she's agreed and we're going next week. But I know mum will try to get more medication for dad the doctor prescribed anti-depressants for him on mum's say so, without seeing him, when mum went last time. We were told by the doctors that this is what caused his hospitalisation since they had quite serious side effects reacting with other medication he's on; although mum will not agree with this theory!

Is there anyone else out there who is getting this sort of a reaction???

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Mywoody, and welcome to Talking Point.

I am sorry to read your post but pleased you have found TP and hope you find help and support here.

From what you have written, I don't think you are unfair or uncaring. I think it is a good idea to speak to the GP, and perhaps write or phone in advance to share some of your concerns, before the actual appointment.

With very best wishes to you all x

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Mywoody, hello and a warm welcome to Talking Point

You are doing a wonderful job of looking after your in-laws and it sounds as if you are all working together, well almost!

Are you worried that your MIL has got some form of dementia or has she always been a difficult person, it is so hard to know what you are dealing with in these situations and talking to the GP is a very good idea, I look forward to hearing how it goes. Can you get an appointment with your FIL's consultant or GP to get his medication looked at too, side effects from drugs are such a worry.

Anyway, welcome and I look forward to seeing you around the site, with best wishes from Jo

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Hello Mywoody
Having just read your post, I wish I'd had someone like you around when I'd needed them - what you've done sounds amazing!

I wonder if your MIL could be depressed though, she's 82, her lifelong partner is no longer the person he was, she doesn't seem to be able to grasp the implications of dementia and she's had a house move fairly recently - a lot for her to have to cope with - at her age these changes must have a huge impact. Perhaps a word with her GP would help to resolve her problems and ultimately help you all.

xxxxxe

bulmer

Jul 7, 2011
I wonder if your mum has front lobe dementia or depp both make people uncaring to others. I have the same problem with my mum. I think you are a saint for taking them into your home Take care of your self:) Good Luck

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
As mentioned earlier, it is possible that your MIL is developing dementia herself. I think a visit to the doctor would be in order. I would definitely keep a journal for a couple of weeks so that the doctor can have an idea of what the situation is. I would also arrange to speak to the doctor separately, if at all possible.

mywoody

Sep 14, 2011
Thank you for listening

Just to say thank you to everyone who listened to my rant last week.

I took mum to see her GP this week and sat in on the consultation.

We've got her antidpressants increased, OMG she hadn't told my husband and I she was even on antidepressants, as she thought we wouldn't approve! I've given her a ticking off in a nice way.

I've sat down with my hubby and talked at length about what is causing his mum to be so 'ungrateful' ... we have come to the conclusion that she is attention seeking as my FIL was always so attentive and now the tables have turned and she has no-one to lavish the love and attention on her that she has been used to. Whilst my FIL was a disciplinarian with old school values he was very protective of mum and we've decided that's what she's missing. Phew we're getting there. We're now making sure that our focus is not always on dad as I think that's what we were getting wrong.

Anyway the next hurdle is getting mum to relinquish some of her need to do everything for dad or feel that she has to do everything for him. I discussed this with her GP and he agreed that she should try to take more time away from him ... we've started with the hairdressers today ... Jen (our hairdresser) came to pick mum up this morning did her hair and dropped her off in the town to go shopping ... my DIL text to say mum came home with bags of shopping and in a better frame of mind. A little retail therapy goes a long way no matter how old you are LOL :)

When I'm at home every day I'll be able to monitor things so much better. My boss has agreed to flexible working and I'm so relieved ... I seriously didn't realise how much having mum and dad with us was impacting on my life ... since agreeing part time hours with my boss, starting from October :), I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Anyway thanks again everyone.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I've only just caught up with your original post and must confess that I thought what you were doing was outstanding. I am now pleased for you that at least some of your concerns are being addressed. You are being a wonderful daughter-in-law and it sounds as if your family are being super-supportive too. Good luck with everything.:)

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hello Mywoody and welcome to TP. I hope it all works out well for you now although nothing every runs totally smoothly! Your Mum-in-law is one lucky lady to be receiving so much support (and patience!) and even the grandchildren and partners involved. I think you are an absolute marvel!

Wishing you all the best and don't hesitate to 'let it out' at any time on TP.

Loo x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso