Am I at risk?

pablo53

Feb 28, 2007
Firstly I wish to point out that my mother suffered from Alzheimers and I was with her when she had an MRI that highlighted the disease. I recently had an MRI myself as I have been suffering from frequent headaches, the MRI found nothing to indicate why I have been having these headaches. What it did show were multiple scattered subcortical ischemic foci within all hemispheric regions except the temporal lobes. Unfortunately I do not see my neurologist until 19th April but in the meantime I am anxious to understand what that means. My question is at this time - is it possible that because of the brain damage mentioned above, caused I understand by lack of blood circulation in these areas, that I may be susecptible to alzheimers or other forms of dementia?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Pablo and welcome to TP.

I`m sorry I am unable to answer your questions. I am not medically trained, do not know your full case history, even if I were, and sincerely believe the only person who can give you the information you seek is your neurologist.

When my mother developed Dementia, apparently caused by `mini strokes`, her GP who was also mine, said he`d keep an eye on my future development just in case.

Since then I have moved house and have a new GP. Unfortunately, the person with Alzheimers is my husband. He comes from a family who all lived to a ripe old age, and none had any form of Dementia.

Please keep in contact with TP. One thing I can promise is support. I wish you well and hope you let us know how you get on.

Regards, Sylvia

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Pablo

Just wanted to welcome you to TP. I can't provide any answers for you, I think that will take someone with medical experience.

Have you looked through the factsheets? (Button at top left of the page).

I'm sure someone will be along who will have more information.

Best wishes,

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hello Pablo. The waiting time for a consultation is very difficult isn't it?

My only answer to your question is to pose another question (and one you've prompted me to ask myself) ..... if you believed you were to be 'at risk' of developing dementia .... how might it affect how you live your life?

Please do let us know how you get on .....

Love, Karen

pablo53

Feb 28, 2007
Am I at risk

Thanks so much for your replies. I will just have to wait until I see my neurologist again but I will post after that date to let you know how I got on. Again, many thanks.

amethyst

Feb 24, 2007
N E Lincs, UK
Hi
It sounds from the very detailed description that you have already heard the result of your scan. Was this from your GP?

I had been going to suggest that your GP, if he wishes, could get the result from the consultant faxed to him and then he could talk it through with you in his surgery. If your GP already has this information, is he not able to give you some kind of answer?

Also perhaps your GP could ask the consultant secretary if they could bring your appointment forward seeing that the results are ready. It is also possible though that there are no appointments to bring your appointment forward to. It is acceptable if you wished to contact the secretary yourself that she may be able to bring the appointment forward, if there are spaces.

Best wishes
Helen

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Hi Pablo,
I too have concerns about develloping AD.Both my nan and now my mum have suffer from it.
I spoke in depth to mums psychiatrist, who reassures me that there isnt a definite hereditary link....but regardless I still wonder.

He did howver urge me to take Vitamin B complex and omega three oils daily, which I have done for the last three years.
My own remedy ...wash them down with a good red:) .

Hope you get the reassurance you need.
Love Ally xx

Helena

May 24, 2006
Ally .......whether you believe it or not my best advice would be strictly avoid mercury amalgam fillings and all forms of alumnium cookware/cans etc

allylee

Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Thanks for that Helena,

I take my mental health very seriously after nursing nan and now mum through AD, so any info is gratefully received.

Cheers
Ally XX

Helena

May 24, 2006
If you do a search for Alumnium poisoning on almost all search engines now you will get 2000 pages on subject

2 of the most interesting are JD Birchall Talk

and H Tomlinsons work

but Keele University have done some corrobative work too

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi allylee

for more info, please check http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/Risk_factors/info_aluminium.htm

... Also .... if you read the Daily Mail there is a 'new' recommended way of avoiding dementia given at least once a week, sometimes more frequently. Everything from eating fish oil, to doing crosswords, to drinking [all sorts of things], to sport, to not smoking, not being near mobile phone masts, etc.

Bottom line is that if anything makes you think it will stop you getting dementia, by all means try it if that will make you feel more at ease.

For the record, I did ditch my aluminium pots and pans a while ago.

Helena

May 24, 2006
Brucie

The Alzheimers info is out of date
Only by truly understanding the actual effect of Aluminium or heavy metals on those who are genetically vulnerable while at same time understanding the research done at Keele university will it all make sense

The key remains ........susceptibility triggered by the correct environmental toxin

Helena

May 24, 2006
Brucie

You have to experience it to understand it !!

I was poisoned by the simple and innocent use of Alumnium pans
I have been right to the precipice
Its the scientists who persistantly refuse to understand exactly how Alumnium crosses the blood brain barrier and how it damages the brain in those who are genetically vulnerable

The same applies to mercury in amalgam fillings and no doubt to cadmium

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
While we are talking about aluminium, I also discard the "tin-foil" that many meats come packaged in. ie chicken cook in tin-foil dish. tin foil is very often aluminium.
cris

dragon

Mar 23, 2007
My grandmother developed some form of dementia in her 70's. She used to go banging on shop doors at 6 am because she forgot to wind her clocks. We never had a proper diagnosis.
My mother complained of headaches all the time. I remember when I was 12 she was taking at least 8 Aspro a day. When she was 70 she tried to kill my father by throwing him down the stairs, and trying to strangle him. She told the police she had a sharp knife and was going to stab him. The DSS put him in a B&B and left her in the house. She should have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act. We tried to get her sorted but no joy. I couldn't have her because I am in a small cottage and had my daughter and grandson living with me. She could have attacked any of us.It was only when the Police were called out several times because she was out in the street shouting for my father to come home, that the DSS arranged a home for her. They took all of my parent's savings. £87,000 as though it was all her money, leaving my father with only his pension. My father was allowed to move back into the house, but soon had to be moved into a home as he was almost blind, deaf, and had skin cancer. I think both should have been paid for by the State on medical grounds. On their subsequent deaths there was only £15,000 left, which they had to leave us. The home where my mother was charged for manicures, hairdressing etc. I saw no sign of her having either of these services. They said she had small bleeds to the brain which caused fits. There was a possibility this was caused by the amount of aspirin she took over the years. We never got a proper diagnosis.
My Doctor says at 61 "I seem OK". I am worried that I will end up like them.
I took on board what my USA relatives said years ago and ditched the aluminium saucepans.
I worry about my future. All dementia patients should have free care if their families can't cope.

Last edited by a moderator: