Am I a Dependent relative?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I've been caring for my husband with Alzheimer's for several years at home and it's getting harder as we are the same age. He had a military career moving frequently and I supported him in that and never had a paid job. So I have no pension except a state pension. We have always had a joint bank account, with direct debits for utilities and we pay our one credit card bill by cheque each month.
We own the house we live in.

My health is failing, and if I can't care for him myself at home, and he needs to go into a Care home, we always imagined that half his pension would continue to be mine, but from what I've read now I'm not sure.

If his savings diminished below the level of self funding, and the LA took an interest in his finances, would they take me into account, or would they take all of his pension, leaving me with just my lower rate state pension?

For some time he's needed my undivided attention day and night so I rarely have a moment to look at finances or make or receive phone calls. He is convinced that he hasn't got a problem, and so there's no need for me to look after our finances, as he will do it, all in good time.

Financially we would have managed fine if Dementia hadn't struck but now I'm getting scared, to be honest. I didn't think I'd finish up a bag lady!

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Raggedy Anne
If your OH went into a home and reached the level where the LA pays his funding his attendance allowance, state pension and half of any other pension would go towards his care (except for a small amount to cover expenses like toiletries - I cant remember how much it is). You would get the other half of any pension and, of course, your own state pension. You may become eligible for pension credit.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The LA would only take his state pension plus 50% of his occupational pension, minus the personal expense allowance which is currently £24.90 (or £25.50 in Wales).

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Thankyou Canary and Jennifer for so promptly setting my mind at rest on the pension worries.... So I wouldn't be left destitute, thank heavens.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
BTW, you probably know, but I thought I would mention that your house would be disregarded with regard to his savings as you are living in it. :)

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
I presume you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to...Attendance Allowance, Carer's Allowance, council tax SMI disregard? Just a prompt especially for others reading this thread.