Am feeling especially sad

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I am feeling especially sad as I start to realise I am now going through those 'Firsts' without my dad whom I lost in January this year. The first Fathers Day and now my birthday and his Grandaughters birthday too a bit more special as was her 40th. Fortunately my daughter did spend time with me as came for a few days ( my daughters birthday is day after mine ). I miss not only dad so much but incredibly its my mums 5th anniversary of her passing coming up in a week too the time has gone so incredibly fast. I am thinking over and over of that day as I was actually with my mum when she passed in her own home so I have those memories of being with her then and knowing her passing was quite peaceful.. I was not able to be with dad at the very end which I am still upset about and especially missing his funeral too which I still find very hard. It will be dads birthday next month, mums birthday in December and then the first Christmas without him. I think as I was so busy with dad and his dementia that grieving for mum was put to the side and now I am feeling overwhelmed with grief for the loss of both of them and on top of this my partner is not that well and thinking he doesn't have long left himself. After a nice time with daughter, her husband and their lovely dog I am just feeling really tearful when I should be thankful for what I still have. Sorry I just needed to put down in words.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Andrea @Wildflowerlady
Grief is like that - it comes out and slaps you suddenly, especially around special days.
Dont worry about it, just roll with it and let it out. People seem to think that after a few months you should have "got over it" and "moved on". Well it doesnt work like that. My mum died just over four years ago and there are still times when Im bowled over with grief.
You are doing fine
xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
All the firsts somehow enlarge the holes in your heart and I`m sure it`s therapeutic to acknowledge this grief through the firsts, the seconds and whenever it is felt.

There may come a time when birthdays and anniversaries are remembered with loving thoughts but until that time comes, as @canary said @Wildflowerlady, just roll with it. It`s normal.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear @Wildflowerlady

I lost my mum earlier this year and her 90th birthday would have been on Wednesday this week.

As @canary has already said we do not “get over” or “move on” from the loss of a loved one within a few months. I am coming to the conclusion that part of us never does so, that a low level sadness will always be with us, based on our experiences of watching a loved one suffering Dementia. There is the natural pain of the loss of a loved one combined with the memories of the last years of that person. Those involved in the day to day caring get hit the hardest.

Wednesday I know will be a sad day. I am helped knowing mum can no longer suffer from Dementia but I still miss her badly each day. We use to take alley walks during lockdowns in 2020, mum feeling safe and secure in such a quiet environment. I frequently take that walk now on my own and talk to her in my thoughts. It helps me in a strange way. My siblings seem to be adjusting to the loss better than me, not that I have much contact. It is now clear mum was our bond and her passing has revealed we have little in common. Pity as I would have welcomed their company in these dark moments but whatever.

Please stay safe and well going forward.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
@Wildflowerlady you have been through so much with your dad passing and then being very ill with covid, go with it. tears are healing and stop putting yourself down by should be like this.......... maybe enjoy things in the moment. maybe you are grieving for both your parents as a couple now reunited so double the grief. either way look after yourself.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I am feeling especially sad as I start to realise I am now going through those 'Firsts' without my dad whom I lost in January this year. The first Fathers Day and now my birthday and his Grandaughters birthday too a bit more special as was her 40th. Fortunately my daughter did spend time with me as came for a few days ( my daughters birthday is day after mine ). I miss not only dad so much but incredibly its my mums 5th anniversary of her passing coming up in a week too the time has gone so incredibly fast. I am thinking over and over of that day as I was actually with my mum when she passed in her own home so I have those memories of being with her then and knowing her passing was quite peaceful.. I was not able to be with dad at the very end which I am still upset about and especially missing his funeral too which I still find very hard. It will be dads birthday next month, mums birthday in December and then the first Christmas without him. I think as I was so busy with dad and his dementia that grieving for mum was put to the side and now I am feeling overwhelmed with grief for the loss of both of them and on top of this my partner is not that well and thinking he doesn't have long left himself. After a nice time with daughter, her husband and their lovely dog I am just feeling really tearful when I should be thankful for what I still have. Sorry I just needed to put down in words.
Dear @Wildflowerlady,

Eventhough mum passed away in 2008 and dad passed away in 2019 I felt I was grieving for both of them. Dad didn't have dementia when mum passed away but I told myself I must look out for him so I don't feel I grieved for her. Therefore when dad passed away I grieved for both of them and them as a couple. Please be kind to yourself as you did the best that you could.

Hugs

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @Wildflowerlady,

Eventhough mum passed away in 2008 and dad passed away in 2019 I felt I was grieving for both of them. Dad didn't have dementia when mum passed away but I told myself I must look out for him so I don't feel I grieved for her. Therefore when dad passed away I grieved for both of them and them as a couple. Please be kind to yourself as you did the best that you could.

Hugs

MaNaAk
I'm also thinking about you all on your birthdays especially that fortieth birthday. You're obviously all Leos like me I'm on the 18th.

MaNaAk

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Hello ManaAk
Happy birthday for Wednesday.
My lovely mum was a Leo too; Would have been 91 on the 15th.
She loved sunshine and warmth, and it was a real battle keeping her sun-creamed and shaded.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello ManaAk
Happy birthday for Wednesday.
My lovely mum was a Leo too; Would have been 91 on the 15th.
She loved sunshine and warmth, and it was a real battle keeping her sun-creamed and shaded.
Thankyou @Dimpsy,

Four of my cousins are Leos, dad was virgo and he had osteoporosis

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
so he was told to spend a little more time in the sun and given a special diet but unfortunately with Alzheimers he did his own routine. Sorry I pressed post by mistake.

MaNaAk

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
Hello Andrea @Wildflowerlady
Grief is like that - it comes out and slaps you suddenly, especially around special days.
Dont worry about it, just roll with it and let it out. People seem to think that after a few months you should have "got over it" and "moved on". Well it doesnt work like that. My mum died just over four years ago and there are still times when Im bowled over with grief.
You are doing fine
xx
Thank you @canary I'm not actually Andrea I believe she had a thread going at the same time as me and I used to read her posts regarding her mum, she lost her mum just a few days before I lost dad. I remember thinking how they were both at same stage. Thank you for kind words still feeling low but took some pretty flowers to grave today.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
All the firsts somehow enlarge the holes in your heart and I`m sure it`s therapeutic to acknowledge this grief through the firsts, the seconds and whenever it is felt.

There may come a time when birthdays and anniversaries are remembered with loving thoughts but until that time comes, as @canary said @Wildflowerlady, just roll with it. It`s normal
Thank you @Grannie G I have a issue unresolved which adds to how I am feeling which I am trying to sort out but have a feeling it may not be resolvable.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
@Wildflowerlady you have been through so much with your dad passing and then being very ill with covid, go with it. tears are healing and stop putting yourself down by should be like this.......... maybe enjoy things in the moment. maybe you are grieving for both your parents as a couple now reunited so double the grief. either way look after yourself.
Thank you @jennifer1967 I am feeling very sad its been compounded by an issue I have yet to deal with but hopefully I will get that done I need to let my feelings known.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Happy birthday ?? @MaNaAk I hope you have a lovely day and thank you for your support and messages.
Thankyou @Wildflowerlady and I did have a lovely day but like you I thought of dad. I actually heard from the eldest of my two brothers in the form of a phone call and present but neither of us heard from the youngest brother so I don't know whether this will ever be resolved but my door is open.

MaNaAk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951