Alzheimers

Hootie

Oct 30, 2007
Doncaster
Hi I am new to this forum - My dad has Alzheimers and was diagnosed some two years ago. He was admitted into a care home in Sept 06 following a number of incidents where he started to wander the streets during all hours and it had become impossible for my sister or me to care for him.

This is no criticism of the home but over the last two months his condition has deteriorated dramatically and despite having an healthy appetite as well as being given protein supplements he continues to lose weight. Now he is at the stage where he cannot walk and sleeps most of the day - the local Doctor took a blood sample to ensure that there were no other medical complications involved which came back negative - Its almost as thought the fight in him has gone.

I just wondered if anyone out there has gone through the same sort of circumstances. There seems to be no professional medical advice to help us deal with the situation other than the experience of those who's loved ones have suffered the same syptoms.:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Hootie, welcome to TP.

I'm afraid what you are seeing with your dad may well be the normal decline seen in people with AD.

My husband has just gone into a NH, and although he is not losing weight, he is suffering a similar decline. His mobility seems to get worse every day, and all he wants to do is lie on his bed. The NH is doing everything it can to motivate him, and I visit every day, but he is slipping into his own world. It's very painful to watch, but I don't think there is anything a GP can do to stop the slide.

If you want more information about the disease, click on the factsheets icon, top left of the page. There are lots of informative sheets available.

Sorry not to be more positive,

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Hootie,ask for a referral to physio for the mobility part.There may be a swallowing problem related to the A/Z.Ask for a speech therapist.is the weight monitored daily?if not then insist on it.Is dad on a food and fluid intake chart?if not then again insist on it.I may be ghoing over the top here but its what i do.What is his weight and body mass index?I am sorry to go on but the elderly are my life.love elainex

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
Hi Hootie

Had a similar problem with mum.

She was taken off Aricept in August 06

Walked into the EMI residential home in September.

By Christmas she had almost stopped walking and feeding herself.

Do keep a check on the home BUT it is probably just the disease progressing.

Best wishes

Clive

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Hootie,

I would also like to welcome you to TP. Sorry to read of your dads deterioration. I agree with other replies that this well could be the progression of the alzheimer's. Sorry I can't be of any further help. Best Wishes Taffy.

Hootie

Oct 30, 2007
Doncaster
Norman said:
Hi Hootie
welcome to talking point.
Sounds like a natural progression of this horrible disease.
Hvae a look at this fact sheet.
Hope it helps,let us know how you get on
Norman

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/How_dementia_progresses/info_progression.htm
Norman

Thank you for the attached fact sheet which was very helpful - my dad had a problem with his prostrate and was admitted to the local hospital. After treatment he returned to the NH but the Doctor did think that he had suffered a stroke which may account for the deterioration. Thanks Hootie:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson