Alzheimer's Society Information & Advice Sheets

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi
Alot of ppl may not be aware of the Alzheimer's Societys main web pages and the quantity, and more importantly, the quality of the information and advise that can be obtained through links from the site.
The main site can be found at
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

And more specifically the info and advice sheets at
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Facts_about_dementia/factsheets.htm

My posting is not meant in anyway to put ppl off asking questions, and chatting to each other here at Talking Point, but so that we can all benefit from the excellant current advice, that we as staff use to answer similiar questions on a day to day basis.
It will also save each of us having to put a link in to these pages in other discussions, we can simply recommend that this posting is viewed instead.
Hope this helps

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Talking Point

Dear Angela, I've just logged on to this website and it seems that it's been quite quiet for a couple of months. It may be that I'm not using it correctly though.

I'e got two elderly parents with Altzheimers and would like to share the news and blues regularly with other carers. Not just for a whinge, but for some of the really funny and lovely things that they say...!

Can you correspond with me? Would be most grateful.

Jude

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Jude,

hope you don't mind me piping in here.

it has been a little quite indeed, but this list seems to go through phases like the moon.

I noticed your post relating to teachers. My father has alzheimer's and although not a teacher all his life, he did lecture at a college for about 12 years. He has had Alzheimers for about four years now and the progression has accelerated recently. I really enjoy spending time with my dad and so does my 5year old daughter. He makes me laugh, a lot more than he used to and if anything he has become a lot more relaxed.

It is hard to cope with all the frustrations BUT what I have learnt over the years is not to feel sorry for dad. He of course has a different view on life, but we get a lot of 'quality' moments together.

I really hope that this list perks up and I for one thank you for reminding me of the positive side :)

take care
Charlie

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Angela,

Could you read my post entitled Altzheimers Victory. Perhaps you could suggest some ways to get the ball rolling through the website. I am going to try and contact Barbara direct, but perhaps she subscribes to this website. I expect that info is classified as private, but if so, perhaps you may be able to pass on a message.

Jude