Alzheimer's Society Groups

NeonPink

Nov 7, 2015
I was wondering if anyone could help me.

My Dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's last year and this year with Vascular Dementia, and I'm his carer and work part-time these days, I've been going to groups for carers and I'm planning on going with my Dad to some groups to help him, the SFTB I understand and the reading group but can anyone tell me what the active and involved group is, my Dad is in a wheelchair would it be suitable for him. Any experience people have had with various groups would be very welcome too.

I would also highly recommend Listening Books ( search web browser for their web site) audio book service to anyone who loves books and stories and radio plays. You can borrow CD's through the post or stream or download audio items through the website, they are brilliant, varying lengths from minutes to hours, un/abridged, read or cast dramatizations, I have been enjoying listening to them with my Dad as much as he has listening. We both love books, sadly he can't read as he used to, but this is a good substitute. There are also some free memberships available for those that the £20 ( the only cost involved, no cost per book or play at all) cost for a year's membership is prohibitive. Stephen Fry is their patron. It is a brilliant service, priceless!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just to say that you can also borrow, i.e. download free audio books from the website of your local county library. They disappear after a fortnight but if you download them to a computer and then transfer them to an iPod or similar, they remain forever.