Alzheimers Research On Nuns

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by noelphobic, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Thanks for posting this - yes, it is very interesting research with a unique population because of their lifestyles.

Though the population is unique, their exposure to dementia appears no different from that of the rest of us, if I read it correctly.

2. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
    It does actually say somewhere that over the age of 85 you have a 50% chance of getting Alzheimers and that there is a strong genetic link. That is different to what I have read elsewhere, although I am by no means an expert and have only really started reading up on dementia in any great detail recently.

3. noelphobic

noelphobic Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Liverpool
  4. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Hi Noelphobic
    A very sad story,I wonder how many many more there are like it.
    Lives ruined through this lousy illness.
    AD spares no one in a family apart from the poor sufferer.
    Norman

5. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    What a sad story. Occasionally, when I am very down I will say "Yes Lionel has Alzheimer's, but I suffer from it"

Self pitying I know, but it hits you at times. Take care now, Connie