Alzheimers patient flying to UK

Darryn

Dec 6, 2021
Good Day, I am seeking advise on the best way to return my mother-inlaw to the UK from South Africa. My father-inlaw recently quite suddenly passed away.
They were out in SA for some time and could not return to the UK due to COVID and travel restrictions and isolations, etc. It just just been a very difficult task. My mother inlaw is a UK citizen and worked all her life in the UK and is receiving a UK government pension.
My mother-inlaw is presently in a Frail care centre and been cared for, for her Alzheimers.
We have spoken to the NHS and to Essex Social Care Direct as well as other Alzheimers/Dementia foundations and Facilities with no results. The Essex Social Care Direct told us to take my mother-inlaw to A&E when we land in the UK. Obviously the have no skills or idea what Alzheimers or Dementia is.
Also the The Essex Social Care Direct will not do any form of assessment on line or via zoom. They say it has to be done it the UK and A&E on arrival back in the UK.

Can we fly with an Alzheimers patient and what is the best type of sedation that can be used to reduce the anxiety and stress that will be caused by the flight/travel.
Is there medication that will make the patient sleep for the complete flight from South Africa to UK?

Any advise, information will be appreciated.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Welcome to the forum, others will be along soon with better advice, but if you're arriving at Heathrow, covid rules state you have to quarantine in a hotel first, if arriving from South Africa, not sure if you've factored that in.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Darryn. I don`t envy your situation.

Are you sure the restrictions have been lifted? With the new variant the goalposts keep moving.

It is a tall order to take someone with dementia on such a long journey. Even if you manage some form of sedation how would it work at the airport?

I`m sorry to be unable to be constructive. I hope others will be more helpful.

I hope you will be able to bring your mother in law back to the UK some way or other.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As stated South Africa is currently on the covid red list for travel
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-lis...itories#red-list-of-countries-and-territories .
Apart from the cost quarantining in a hotel and attending A&E do not seem compatible.

The best people to suggest any kind of sedation for the flight are the clinicians currently treating her in South Africa.
You could also check with the airline to see if it would require any fitness to fly certification.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
1st, Check UK Government Travel restrictions for travellers from South Africa. (you will be required to Hotel Quarantine for 10 days, before being allowed in. I doubt a trip to A&E for a check up would be allowed, in her circumstance.)
2nd. Who will be paying for her Care in the UK? (Don't expect the NHS or Local Authority to, they have strict rules)
3rd. What Assets does she have in the UK? (Savings, property, Businesses etc. These will all be taken into account, when paying for Care.)
4th. What is to stop her staying where she is now? (both short and long term. it may well be cheaper to fund her care in SA.)
5th. Airline regulations for a person in her condition. You may find a Medical Evacuation Flight is needed.

The list could go on, but this is enough for now.
Bod

Darryn

Dec 6, 2021
Welcome to the forum, others will be along soon with better advice, but if you're arriving at Heathrow, covid rules state you have to quarantine in a hotel first, if arriving from South Africa, not sure if you've factored that in.
Hi, we can only start the travel once all restrictions are lifted the travel will be bad enough without putting her into an isolation hotel with no care or supervision

Darryn

Dec 6, 2021
1st, Check UK Government Travel restrictions for travellers from South Africa. (you will be required to Hotel Quarantine for 10 days, before being allowed in. I doubt a trip to A&E for a check up would be allowed, in her circumstance.)
2nd. Who will be paying for her Care in the UK? (Don't expect the NHS or Local Authority to, they have strict rules)
3rd. What Assets does she have in the UK? (Savings, property, Businesses etc. These will all be taken into account, when paying for Care.)
4th. What is to stop her staying where she is now? (both short and long term. it may well be cheaper to fund her care in SA.)
5th. Airline regulations for a person in her condition. You may find a Medical Evacuation Flight is needed.

The list could go on, but this is enough for now.
Bod
Good Day, She has nothing of value including no property, only her pension. He husband was assisting with the monthly care and medical fees. now that he has passed away the cost are not being covered.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What a mess you are in - the timing couldnt be worse ?. I dont think you will be able to travel to UK without quarantining for a while and the rules have changed as from 4/12/21 as South Africa (along with other countries) has been red listed.

Use this time to find out whether your mum will qualify for free NHS and Social Security help - even though she is a UK citizen, she may not if she has been out of the country for a while. Where are you expecting her to live when she arrives? Assessing her will take time and SS has a back-log at the moment. Depending on what is happening in the hospitals, A&E may not accept her. It may be easier in the short-term if she lives with you, so that she has an address in UK (although be careful that this does not become permanent unless this is what you want).

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Does your MiL have any family in the UK? If she does, are they prepared to take responsibility for looking after her or arranging her care? The first thing is to check that she will be entitled to free health care and free or subsidised social care. Being a UK national is not enough if a person has been out of the country for too long.

You say that your MiL has no assets other than her pension. Where were she and her late husband intending to live when they returned to the UK? Did they give up their tenancy when they went to SA? Where will your MiL live when she returns to the UK if she does not move to a care home? You should be aware that Social Services will not generally fund live-in care at home.

I think that you are in a very difficult situation. If you take your MiL to A&E and the hospital does not think that she needs inpatient medical treatment they won't admit her. You will have a very unpleasant exchange with staff if you are thought to be dumping your MiL on the hospital instead of taking responsibility for her. Could your MiL not stay with you? Her pension could be used to pay for visiting carers.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Something that I'm not clear about: did your MiL not inherit anything from her late husband? You mention him contributing to care and medical costs. Was this from his pension or some sort of insurance policy? Does your MiL not benefit from his pension(s) as his widow?

Primrose66

Mar 30, 2016
If you get your relative back to UK, more than likely she will have to live with you until you get her sorted with a care home. As for the flight she would need to be accompanied. Either you could go & pick her up or get someone to fly over with her. Then do all the testing & self isolating. Caring for her will be a 24 hour a day responsibility. NHS Care packages can take months to organise & there are waiting lists. You could get a private Nursing agency and pay for it yourself. Or advertise locally for people to care for her, make sure they have a current DBS check and check out references. Contact Social Services in your area to get advice. This Essex Social Care Direct suggest taking your relative to A & E when she arrives in the UK. For what purpose? A & E is Accident and Emergency. This is not an Emergency. nor an Accident. This is an old vulnerable adult who needs 24/7 care. Also she would have to self isolate first, as she could potentially infect other patient's and staff in A&E with Covid. My local hospital has a dementia assessment unit but you don't just get admitted by going to A & E. It's a planned admission and could take months to get a bed. Hope it works out, as someone said maybe keeping her in SA may be best option?