Alzheimer's it it then...

shaktibhakti

Sep 5, 2016
brighton
Welcome! sorry to hear but ......relief you know whats going on now...my cousins husband recently got diagnosed at 62yrs....We were rather hoping hed just had a breakdown of some kind...hes totally not the `life and soul of the party `anymore but very quiet and wont engage in anything....They have recently moved to be near her sister and husband for more support as only moved a year before.

dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
Welcome Arthur.
I was diagnosed with Alzheimers 3 years ago and it is a wonderful excuse to give up things you enjoy less and take up things you had no time for.
Have you a bucket list to accelerate so that you have a better chance of remembering?
I have taken up painting with my new lack of inhibition.
I also continue to housekeep, lead health walks and give talks - in every case the secret is to keep in practice and have people who will back you up if necessary so there is no stress.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi all,
I was finally diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease last Friday. What a relief!
I've been off work for nearly a year with anxiety after suffering a series of nervous breakdowns, and I knew in my heart that my cognitive functions were deteriorating, even though I passed every memory test.

Well, a brain scan has shown that there is shrinkage in my hippocampi (if indeed that is the plural of hippocampus), and that has answered most of the questions that had been plaguing me for a long time.

Now it's time for me to put a regime in place to try and hold back the process of deterioration for as long as possible, and for that, I'm looking for the wisdom and support of all the lovely people here on Talking Point.

Yes it's scary, but knowledge is power and I will fight this illness every step of the way. and I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

Catch you on a thread :)

Arthur.

P.S.
Just realised I've misspelled the title of the thread... D'oh!

Hi Arthur sorry to hear of your diagnoses but welcome to the Dementia world my friend and delighted to see your approaching this with a Positive attitude unfortunately so many do not but I suppose that what makes us different.

Never the less I was diagnosed in 1999 with Alzheimer’s and like you Arthur I was Positive so much so I just carried on as usual getting into arguments with my Consultant and in 2003 I sent to for a PET brain scan this showed Loss of Volume of the Front-Temporal-Lobes the scan was repeated in 2004 as a SPEC scan so I was now diagnosed with FTD no point in arguing any further evidence was there , however I still remained Positive and carried on Driving, Working until my retirement age 65 , going on holidays driving abroad always Positive unfortunately I now much older and in 2015 had a heart attack another in 2016 then diagnosed with diabetes but still Positive , the thing is I’m in the age bracket now where friends & relatives of the same age are dying, but I’m still about Ground Arthur so keep Positive my friend your only here Once so make most of it

Doodles87

Sep 4, 2018
Hi all,
I was finally diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease last Friday. What a relief!
I've been off work for nearly a year with anxiety after suffering a series of nervous breakdowns, and I knew in my heart that my cognitive functions were deteriorating, even though I passed every memory test.

Well, a brain scan has shown that there is shrinkage in my hippocampi (if indeed that is the plural of hippocampus), and that has answered most of the questions that had been plaguing me for a long time.

Now it's time for me to put a regime in place to try and hold back the process of deterioration for as long as possible, and for that, I'm looking for the wisdom and support of all the lovely people here on Talking Point.

Yes it's scary, but knowledge is power and I will fight this illness every step of the way. and I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

Catch you on a thread :)

Arthur.

P.S.
Just realised I've misspelled the title of the thread... D'oh!
Wow how inspirational!!! Go you!!! Getting my dad's diagnosis was all a big secret as he didn't want us to know, so we never spoke about it and I really struggle with worrying about how he felt etc. I hope you're coping well and I totally agree, knowledge is power!!

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
You sound like a beautiful soul and I love your positive attitude to life and that of your wife too. Wishing you happiness every single day xx

RHV

Mar 5, 2019
Same here, diagnosed three weeks ago. I am intrigued what support you are getting. I was given a verbal diagnosis and have received no written confirmation or treatment. I have not seen a Doctor in the assessment team and when I visited my GP he had no idea of my diagnosis 2 weeks after I was told. Not impressed so far and floundering

Hi RHV,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. My diagnosis was confirmed in early January. I visited my GP immediately and was told to stop taking my antidepressants forthwith and see him in a months time. I dutifully returned a month later, to be told that he is not allowed to prescribe any of the medication that might help my condition, and that he would refer me to the Northamptonshire "Younger People With Dementia Team" (I'm 64 BTW). Then I waited. Three weeks later I phoned the surgery to ask if there was any news of my referral...nothing. The very next day I received a letter from my GP telling me that he could not refer me until I took a blood test! I've finally got an appointment for a home visit from a Mental Health Nurse in a couple of week's time.

The best help and advice I've had so far has been from my local branch of the Alzheimer's Society. They visited my wife and I at home and have provided us with heaps of useful information, as a result of which we've sorted out powers of attorney, rewritten our wills and reorganised our funeral arrangements.

My advice would be to phone your local dementia helpline and open your heart to them. They will help and support you.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry you had a palaver with your GP surgery Arthur ASCII. Nice to know your local Alzheimer's Society helped out though, and you have so much paperwork sorted out.

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Good Morning Arthur... love the username.... what a blast from the past!

Like this comment a lot, 'Now it's time for me to put a regime in place to try and hold back the process of deterioration for as long as possible.'

I'm 65, and have dementia, and I, like you, intend to live for tomorrow!

I've been amazed at how everyone seems to treat me since my diagnoses... it is as if I have been turned off... the door closed to life... as though I'm a walking corpse... I feel as though I'm in a gage, a puppet being held in some sort of confinemnet of love .. I do understand that everyone wants to help, but they don't know how and I think this is one of the major problems. I've been trying to talk to other dementia suffers and have found only 4 here so far. I am wondering if those with dementia have access to a computer, now how to use one, or want to bother?

I am reading all the research I can and doing everything possible that can be done. My Doctor said that there isn't anything that can be done! This may be true as far as the medical world knows to date, but you have to have hope, or what's the point!?

Just finished reading a book by, Dr Dale Bredesen... The End of Alzheimer's. I think it is an amazing read and certainly has given me hope.

I also watch a lot of the TED lectures online, mostly related to dementia and brain function... these are only 15minutes long, so concise and full of information. Check them out: www.ted.com

Have a good one!