Alzheimer's it it then...

Hi all,
I was finally diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease last Friday. What a relief!
I've been off work for nearly a year with anxiety after suffering a series of nervous breakdowns, and I knew in my heart that my cognitive functions were deteriorating, even though I passed every memory test.

Well, a brain scan has shown that there is shrinkage in my hippocampi (if indeed that is the plural of hippocampus), and that has answered most of the questions that had been plaguing me for a long time.

Now it's time for me to put a regime in place to try and hold back the process of deterioration for as long as possible, and for that, I'm looking for the wisdom and support of all the lovely people here on Talking Point.

Yes it's scary, but knowledge is power and I will fight this illness every step of the way. and I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

Catch you on a thread :)

Arthur.

P.S.
Just realised I've misspelled the title of the thread... D'oh!

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi all,
I was finally diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease last Friday. What a relief!
I've been off work for nearly a year with anxiety after suffering a series of nervous breakdowns, and I knew in my heart that my cognitive functions were deteriorating, even though I passed every memory test.

Well, a brain scan has shown that there is shrinkage in my hippocampi (if indeed that is the plural of hippocampus), and that has answered most of the questions that had been plaguing me for a long time.

Now it's time for me to put a regime in place to try and hold back the process of deterioration for as long as possible, and for that, I'm looking for the wisdom and support of all the lovely people here on Talking Point.

Yes it's scary, but knowledge is power and I will fight this illness every step of the way. and I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

Catch you on a thread :)

Arthur.

P.S.
Just realised I've misspelled the title of the thread... D'oh!

Hello Playmates:D

Welcome to TP.

I will look forward to reading your posts.

Phil

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @ArthurASCII Welcome from me too.

If my husband had been able to have your attitude when he was diagnosed our lives would have been so much easier.

I hope you find all the support you need on the forum and you are managing the scariness very well.

Keep up the good spirit.

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @Arthur ASCII and welcome.

My husband also found it a huge relief to get a diagnosis. In his case it took the weight off his shoulders in trying to go through numerous, stressful job interviews after being made redundant from full-time work.

Instead, he felt empowered to retire early on a private works pension. Just being able to say he was retired rather than unemployed was a huge boost to his morale and allowed us to enjoy some relatively carefree and enjoyable years after diagnosis.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I knew in my heart that my cognitive functions were deteriorating, even though I passed every memory test.

I think this is fairly common for some people.
May I be cheekily inquisitive and ask if your username surname indicates your employment?

Siri

Jan 17, 2019
Hi @Arthur ASCII and welcome.

My husband also found it a huge relief to get a diagnosis. In his case it took the weight of his shoulders in trying to go through numerous, stressful job interviews after being made redundant from full-time work.

Instead, he felt empowered to retire early on a private works pension. Just being able to say he was retired rather than unemployed was a huge boost to his morale and allowed us to enjoy some relatively carefree and enjoyable years after diagnosis.

Siri

Jan 17, 2019
Hi Arthur
Yes just keep fighting and focus on the good things in your life, your spirit and attitude will go towards the fight.
I will look forward to hear how your doing and will say a prayer for you.

I think this is fairly common for some people.
May I be cheekily inquisitive and ask if your username surname indicates your employment?
Well spotted! I was heavily involved in the development of Interactive Electronic Technical Publications (IETP) for the armed forces until around a decade ago. I then gave up my career to become a Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) as desk work and long spells away from home were ruining my health (I'm an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic).
ASCII was my stock in trade, so Arthur ASCII seemed like a good pseudonym, and I've used it all over the place for years :)

Hello @ArthurASCII Welcome from me too.

If my husband had been able to have your attitude when he was diagnosed our lives would have been so much easier.

I hope you find all the support you need on the forum and you are managing the scariness very well.

Keep up the good spirit.
We are all different. I'll do everything in my power to slow the progress of the disease, but I'm pretty sanguine about the endgame. Life's too short to waste a day.

My only worry is the toll it may take on my wife. I'll do whatever I can to ease any burden I may place on her, and to ensure that she still enjoys a life of her own full of friends and happiness.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi and welcome. There a number of threads and poems by a fellow sufferer Norrms Mcmannara (?) . He has had it for about 10 years and has humour and knowledge to share which might help.

Patrioted

Jul 4, 2017
Welcome to our forum. You are in the right place. We are a unique lot? All of us have this dreadful and so far incurable dementia disease yet we all have hope while still accepting our fate. We know time is valuable and that not a minute of it should be waisted feeling sorry for ourselves. We are active and interested learners and researchers. We know that while their still is no cure their are some promising studies and their are ways to help ourselves and delay, significantly delay the progression of our various categories of dementia.

This is what gives us hope that a cure might be found in time to help us. If we are not so fortunate to be party to a future cure at least we’ll enjoy much better quality of life and experience morefun, even joy, for a longer period of time then we otherwise would and also have the satisfaction of helping other dementia suffers. Everything about this group is good for that reason.

My advice, never hide or be ashamed of your dementia diagnoses. You are not a leper to be hidden away. Tell your family and friends that if they are reluctant to admit and discuss your diagnosis openly that you will view it that they are ashamed of you. We have nothing to hide and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Dementia is a disease but it is neither contagious or taboo. A person with heartdesease is not made to feel ashamed of their desease so why should we be treated any differently. None of us have given ourselves dementia. We had nothing to do with it. We are victims but not helpless victims, not yet anyway. We were once all hardworking, productive, decent, loving, and caring people so we earned and deserve respect.

I think we all understand that the only way to make others more knowledgeable and to understand dementia is for those of us who suffer with it to talk about it and those who are for us to also talk about it.

Never forget to laugh. Don’t get depressed if you have the occasional down day. We also. Utwe have a lot more great days and that’s what matters. Stay informed and keep in touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti