1. Expert Q&A: Dementia Research, Tuesday 26th March, 3-4pm

At Alzheimer's Society our research program focuses on improving care for people with dementia today and finding a cure for tomorrow.

Hannah from our Research Team will be answering your questions on all our research efforts on Tuesday 26 March between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Alzheimer's it it then...

Discussion in 'I have dementia' started by Arthur ASCII, Jan 17, 2019.

1. shaktibhakti

shaktibhakti Registered User

Sep 5, 2016
    brighton
    Welcome! sorry to hear but ......relief you know whats going on now...my cousins husband recently got diagnosed at 62yrs....We were rather hoping hed just had a breakdown of some kind...hes totally not the `life and soul of the party `anymore but very quiet and wont engage in anything....They have recently moved to be near her sister and husband for more support as only moved a year before.

2. dbrilyant

dbrilyant Registered User

Sep 14, 2014
    Welcome Arthur.
    I was diagnosed with Alzheimers 3 years ago and it is a wonderful excuse to give up things you enjoy less and take up things you had no time for.
    Have you a bucket list to accelerate so that you have a better chance of remembering?
    I have taken up painting with my new lack of inhibition.
    I also continue to housekeep, lead health walks and give talks - in every case the secret is to keep in practice and have people who will back you up if necessary so there is no stress.

3. Philbo

Philbo Registered User

Feb 28, 2017
    Male
    Kent
    :D:D

4. Countryboy

Countryboy Registered User

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Cornwall
    Hi Arthur sorry to hear of your diagnoses but welcome to the Dementia world my friend and delighted to see your approaching this with a Positive attitude unfortunately so many do not but I suppose that what makes us different.

Never the less I was diagnosed in 1999 with Alzheimer’s and like you Arthur I was Positive so much so I just carried on as usual getting into arguments with my Consultant and in 2003 I sent to for a PET brain scan this showed Loss of Volume of the Front-Temporal-Lobes the scan was repeated in 2004 as a SPEC scan so I was now diagnosed with FTD no point in arguing any further evidence was there , however I still remained Positive and carried on Driving, Working until my retirement age 65 , going on holidays driving abroad always Positive unfortunately I now much older and in 2015 had a heart attack another in 2016 then diagnosed with diabetes but still Positive , the thing is I’m in the age bracket now where friends & relatives of the same age are dying, but I’m still about Ground Arthur so keep Positive my friend your only here Once so make most of it

5. Doodles87

Doodles87 Registered User

Sep 4, 2018
    Wow how inspirational!!! Go you!!! Getting my dad's diagnosis was all a big secret as he didn't want us to know, so we never spoke about it and I really struggle with worrying about how he felt etc. I hope you're coping well and I totally agree, knowledge is power!!

6. Cazzita

Cazzita Registered User

May 12, 2018
    You sound like a beautiful soul and I love your positive attitude to life and that of your wife too. Wishing you happiness every single day xx

7. Arthur ASCII

Arthur ASCII Registered User

Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply. Good advice. All of it.

8. Arthur ASCII

Jan 17, 2019
    We're all on the same journey, but we travel at different speeds. thank you for your insight.

9. Arthur ASCII

Jan 17, 2019
    Wise and uplifting words.

10. RHV

RHV New member

Mar 5, 2019
    Same here, diagnosed three weeks ago. I am intrigued what support you are getting. I was given a verbal diagnosis and have received no written confirmation or treatment. I have not seen a Doctor in the assessment team and when I visited my GP he had no idea of my diagnosis 2 weeks after I was told. Not impressed so far and floundering