Alzheimer's cold sore virus link

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
It is interesting how the researchers come up with these things.

Nina read to me yesterday that some researchers had found that women who get breast cancer are more than likely to own a dog, and that the dog may pass something on to them.

We know 3 people who have had breast cancer and all three had dogs.... :confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Perhaps we should have a Poll on how many sufferers on TP have a tendency to cold sores.

Dhiren has never had a cold sore in his life. My mother never had a cold sore in her life either.

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Here's my entry - as far as I'm aware, my mother has never had a cold sore. Maybe when she was a child but not in my memory.

But the herpes family of viruses can lurk for decades in the body. Think of shingles - you must have had chicken pox at one time to develop shingles. Our bodies are so complex and everything is interrelated.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Mind you I'm always wary about these statistical analysis (analysese?) By adulthood close to 90% of the population has exposure to the HSV-1 virus, so I'm not sure it comes under the category of a smoking gun. In fact, if that 90% figure is really correct, the fact that 70% of people with AD show such exposure, surely a case could be made that in fact it exposure to the virus actually decrease your risk of catching AD (since if it was truly random you would expect AD patients to show the same level - i.e. 90%). I realise that exposure and finding it in the brain isn't necessarily the same thing though. It doesn't seem particularly new research either - this link was reported at least in 1997.

As to dog ownership - there are all sorts of things that dog ownership exposes you to. Do you know if you own a dog you are 5 times (I think that was the number) more likely to find a dead body than a non dog owner? Not of course the ownership per se but the walking of a four legged sniffing machine is what causes that.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
As much as I hate to take a thread off topic, I cannot resist the discussions on dogs. Someone recently told me about a dog diagnosed with dementia.

Well it seems that Canine Cognitive Dysfunction is well know and dogs too can suffer from dementia (old dog syndrome, brain aging, doggie dementia or senility).

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art25417.asp

Learn something everyday - so you can teach and old dog tricks :)

Like all of you, I'm a little sceptical about some of the research on alzheimer's particulary when time and money could be spent better elsewhere. However it does not harm to keep everyone informed of any research that crops up.

Apologies for hijacking my own thread :eek:

Kind Regards
Craig

towncrier

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
animal alzheimer's

Just as I had decided to ask if anyone knew if animals suffer from dementias, Craig posted this very interesting information. Both his links are highly relevant. It seems that dogs indeed can show characteristics of dementia, and post mortem studies have shown that their brains also get gunged up with amyloid plaques. I am going to study the information in more detail before I ask any more questions, but I am very excited by this news, and hope the scientists will undertake animal and human studies jointly.:D

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Just to put things into context:-

A recent survey has found that the average person in Britain has 1.99 legs.

Not surprising really when the researchers apparently found quite a few people with only one leg and absolutely no people with three legs.

Can anyone remember the news story years back when Alzheimers disease was linked irrefutably to people who used aluminium cooking pans?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
My mother had Cold sores , also I get them :eek:

yes please someone do a poll about cold sores

Craig was reading that link about the dogs , so called out my dog name yes he remembered his name, looking at me when I called him :D

Last edited:

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
We once had a thirteen year old goat and the vet said that it was unusual for goats to live more than ten years.
This goat had a strong heart and lungs, but she gave up the will to live and became very depressed. She just walked round and round in circles, refusing to eat anything and losing so much weight. The vet thought that she may have developed liver disease and toxins had damaged her brain, but we never knew for certain.
I've heard of cats and dogs who have also lost their memory or start behaving in strange ways. It would be interesting to see if there are any similarities with dementia in people.
We need to find out as much as possible about this awful disease so it can be treated or at least brought under control.

Kayla

Bubbles

Jun 4, 2008
Well my great Aunt has Alzheimer's and she never had a cold sore but her daughter did! Interesting.......
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Better start making my will

Cold sores:(
Ron has never had one, nor shingles, nor chicken pox.
Sorry folk's, another Red herring:(

I, on the other hand, do get cold sores, now I think it was all down to a miss spent youth, (after all, I am a child of the 60's)

If I beleived everthing I hear, I would go mad:mad:
I ate a worm when I was a child, so mum tell's me, does that mean I will get worm's, well 60 year's later I am waiting.

Take this message as the light hearted banter it is meant to be. I do not want to offen anyone (but, I am sure I have). But do not beleive everthing.

Barb & Ron XX

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Grommit,
I remember the aluminuim pans thread well. When the person wrote to me and said I caused my husband to have A.S. I was furious. Never used them. (Peter's ex wife did)!!!
As for cold sores, Peter always on a monthly basis had one ???
As for the person with 1.99 legs well the mind just boggles.
Take case
Christine

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
cold cores

Yep Mum and I have suffered from them for years. However something else struck me about the stats, the older you get the more likely you are to be exposed to the HSV virus AND develop alzeimhers purely because you have had an extended life span! Statistics were once described to me as "an exact science - that is no one knows exactly what they prove" lol.

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
....imagine if aluminum does cause AZ. Boy oh boy will there be a spike in the U.S. thanx to sodas and beer and don't forget all the food packaged in Aluminum....:eek:

(only kidding, do not believe the AZ and aluminum theory)

HUGS

Nancy

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
What about ...

Artifical sweeteners?

I should stress this is a line of thought based on absolutely no scientific research at all which I know of but just something that popped into my head; not terribly serious in the greater scheme of things. However, I'll float it for your reactions.

Sweeteners were widely introduced to our diet in the 1940s, when war-time rationing of sugar was necessary - at the time it would have been saccharin. So the WW2 adult population (which would include my parents) & the 'war-baby' generation were heavily exposed to them. Food manufacturers adopted them into ready-made 'shop-bought' cakes etc. for reasons of cost so they stayed n our diet after rationing finished in the 1950s. Following on came the concept of Ready Meals and convenience foods, many loaded with preservatives, salt and yes - artificial sweeteners, now mainly NutraSweet, Aspartame & sodium saccharin.

I've been eating this 'new generation' of food all my life, so I'm certainly not preaching about it. I'm probably the ideal guinea pig, if anyone wants to carve my body up when I'm finished with it!

Attachments

• Piggy in deckchair.jpg
    Piggy in deckchair.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 421