Alzheimer's 'cause' discovered:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Interesting ?????
if you can believe it
jimbo

Alzheimer's 'cause' discovered: Poisonous algae found in UK freshwater lakes and reservoirs could be fuelling dementia epidemic afflicting one million people
It is the first direct evidence that a chemical, produced by algae, might be linked to devastating brain conditions
Scientists have discovered the toxin in seafood and plants, through which it is feared it is entering the food chain
Researchers highlighted a growing body of evidence that the toxin, named BMAA, could trigger brain diseases
If confirmed, the chemical would be the first major environmental factor linked to increasing rates of Alzheimer’s

A poisonous toxin found in freshwater lakes and reservoirs across Britain could be fuelling the country’s dementia epidemic, scientists fear.
Researchers have found the first direct evidence that a chemical, produced by algae, might be linked to a range of devastating neurological conditions including Alzheimer’s and Motor Neurone Disease (MND).
The toxin – sometimes a by-product of increasingly common blue-green algal bloom – has been found in seafood and plants, through which it is feared it enters the food chain.
Now experts have highlighted a growing body of evidence suggesting the toxin, called BMAA, could trigger brain disease in humans.

If the link is confirmed, the chemical would be the first major environmental factor linked to increasing rates of Alzheimer’s, which is predicted to affect more than one million Britons by 2050.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...demic-afflicting-1m-people.html#ixzz3y9MDkzK4

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm equally sceptical. I also read in latest issue of 'The Week' an article which quotes Professor John Hardy talking about 'drugs to halt AD within a decade' and also contains this quote:

Since 1980, there has been a 20% drop in dementia incidence (in Britain), possibly as a result of people taking actions to reduce their cholesterol levels.

I've never seen this before and most statistics suggest a growing problem don't they? This article jimbo's found talks of 'increasing rates of Alzheimer's'.

And even if it is true I think his possible reason is pretty implausible.

So much of the stuff you read about AD, even when you discount the massive amount of obvious twaddle, contradicts other stuff.

sinkhole

Jan 28, 2015
'The Week' doesn't have any original content, so they probably got that one from the Daily Mail as well :rolleyes:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
What nutters have come up with this

The original article was published by the Royal Society.

Dietary exposure to an environmental toxin triggers neurofibrillary tangles and amyloid deposits in the brain

Paul Alan Cox, David A. Davis, Deborah C. Mash, James S. Metcalf, Sandra Anne Banack
Published 20 January 2016.DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2015.2397

Abstract

Neurofibrillary tangles (NFT) and β-amyloid plaques are the neurological hallmarks of both Alzheimer's disease and an unusual paralytic illness suffered by Chamorro villagers on the Pacific island of Guam. Many Chamorros with the disease suffer dementia, and in some villages one-quarter of the adults perished from the disease. Like Alzheimer's, the causal factors of Guamanian amyotrophic lateral sclerosis/parkinsonism dementia complex (ALS/PDC) are poorly understood. In replicated experiments, we found that chronic dietary exposure to a cyanobacterial toxin present in the traditional Chamorro diet, β-N-methylamino-l-alanine (BMAA), triggers the formation of both NFT and β-amyloid deposits similar in structure and density to those found in brain tissues of Chamorros who died with ALS/PDC. Vervets (Chlorocebus sabaeus) fed for 140 days with BMAA-dosed fruit developed NFT and sparse β-amyloid deposits in the brain. Co-administration of the dietary amino acid l-serine with l-BMAA significantly reduced the density of NFT. These findings indicate that while chronic exposure to the environmental toxin BMAA can trigger neurodegeneration in vulnerable individuals, increasing the amount of l-serine in the diet can reduce the risk.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thanks for the context mrjelly.
There was a report on the BBC recently about attempts to find a cure based on that approach, but the scientist interviewed said the problem they were having was in developing medication which is successful in clinical trials. Hopefully some time in the next ten years someone will make that final breakthrough, but for now I will take most of these reports with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I hate to think the poor old Daily Mail gets the blame for everything
So I think a few more articles printed on this subject may suffice to convince those sceptics that there are other ‘fools’ around
Admittedly some of the articles go back c 2011
Shows the DM takes its time to consider these matters !!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimbo
Ps in case you think I am a DM fanatic
I daily read ( on internet )
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Huffington Post
Express
Mirror
And if you think I have nothing better to do you may be right
But it keeps me from sucking my thumbs whilst I am waiting for my carers to come and give me that ‘delicious ‘strip wash

jimbo

Exposure to environmental toxin may lead to Alzheimer's
In a study published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, researchers found exposure to the toxin beta-Methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA) may be associated with the development of beta-amyloid plaques and tau tangles in the brain.
On analyzing the monkeys' brain tissue, the researchers found that those fed fruit containing only BMAA showed development of tau tangles and beta-amyloid plaques.
"The tangles and amyloid deposits produced were nearly identical to those found in the brain tissue of the Pacific Islanders who died from the Alzheimer's-like disease," notes study coauthor Deborah Mash, PhD, director of the University of Miami Brain Endowment Bank in Florida.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/305343.php

reservoirs across the UK, has been linked to the root causes of dementia.
New research published in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B suggests a toxin occasionally produced by blue-green algal bloom could be linked to a range of neurological conditions.
They include Alzheimer’s — which killed actress Rita Hayworth in 1987 and, more recently, author Terry Pratchett — and Motor Neurone Disease (MND).
The toxin, beta-N-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA), has been discovered in French mussels, oysters and other seafood. Also plants, through which it has the ability to enter the food chain.
Experts warn there is increasing evidence that suggests BMAA has the ability to trigger brain diseases in unsuspecting humans.
If proven, BMAA would be the first significant environmental factor with a link to increasing the rate of Alzheimer’s.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ae-toxin-may-increase-risk-of-Alzheimers.html

The toxin appeared to be widespread in British inland waters in a 2008 study, with blue-green algae samples from 12 freshwater lakes and reservoirs across England, Scotland and Wales - some drinking-water reservoirs, others recreational waters, and some used for fishing - all testing positive.
And MND rates are up to 25 times higher than expected in people living by BMAA-contaminated lakes and lagoons.
Professor Paul Cox, a leading researcher in the field, said the poisonous algae toxin could be the "third factor" behind the rapid increase in the amount of people suffering from Alzheimer's after old age and the fact doctors are better than ever before at diagnosing the disease.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/637550/Alzheimer-s-scientists-cause-lurking-British-waters

Australian Researchers Discover Potential Blue Green Algae Cause and L- Serine Treatment of Motor Neuron Disease (MND) Lou Gehrig's ALS and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
http://www.science20.com/australian...atment_of_motor_neuron_disease_mnd_als-121193

Once a reservoir has been registered, SEPA will classify it as high, medium or low ...... is in place and reservoirs that are over the 10,000m3 threshold are covered, ..... the root cause of the behaviour and can also have problematic side effects. ..... “Antipsychotic prescribing to people with dementia in the United Kingdom is ...

Searches related to reservoirs across the UK, has been linked to the root causes of dementia.
peter falk dementia pictures
peter falk's daughter my dad has alzheimer's
peter falk daughters
peter falk dental
peter falk dementia youtube
charles bronson alzheimer's
shera falk
peter falk alzheimer's video

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
‘We know the single biggest risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease is age

I feel sorry for the monkeys that are fed these toxins in an effort to prove nothing.

I am certain my Grandmother, Aunt, Mother and Father-in-law didn't partake of any creature from freshwater lakes or reservoirs.

Some time information should be filtered otherwise life is too scary to live.

Live a healthy life...you'll still die.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Well I suppose there maybe something good here thought, Remember the saying where there is blame there's a claim so insurers will be getting on the band wagon No Win No Fee

Auntie Mame

Jan 24, 2016
Husband Always Loves A Swim

Hi, my first post here. I also spotted this article today, although I live in Canada.

My husband has had short-term memory and judgment issues for over a decade, and now sometimes, but not always, he will state himself that he is probably getting Alzheimer's like his late mother. But often he functions well, and he has been retired from regular work since 2003, although did contracting and freelance work until the past year.

Back in 1997 we had a do-it-yourself cottage (very much so), and a nearby lake was a favorite place for him, to swim, bathe, wash his hair, as the cottage/cabin had a bathtub, but no running water. I have never been that keen on swimming.

But regularly, through the years, he has grabbed every opportunity for a swim - loves waterfalls, streams, ponds, etc.

So I was wondering about the article, and considering the fact that algae is everywhere. We even used to buy a health herbal supplement several years ago, with blue-green algae, and who knows where they got the ingredients?

I agree that AD articles are spreading a lot of disinfo, likely because the topic is getting more and more popular, and 'everybody is an expert.'

I have been puzzled that my husband's condition has not deteriorated, except for regular confusion about the day of the week (asks me 4 or 5 times every morning); no memory of financial matters; conversations we have which disappear from his memory; locating things he uses every day in the kitchen.

I think he is eating right, gets plenty of coconut oil and takes many vitamins.

Medical assistance in much of Canada is difficult to obtain, unless you need an immediate cancer operation. There are 'Aging Brain Clinics' in a few major centres around the country, but travel means time and money, and then there are the waiting lists.

Where we are living now, the ocean is too cold to swim in year-round.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
To witness the effects of Alzheimer's on my late wife I've no interest in speculation about the causes. The following words keep appearing in research reports: may, might and could be.

I'd like to see the results of a research carried out on numbers of people aged, mid eighties to those over one hundred that are both mentally and physically fit. Such a report I'd take notice of. Many people in that age group had little option but to use their brain to survive the trials of daily life. There were no 'magic' drugs to cure depression and all the new illnesses they think up today.

Just my observation: society is being herded into boxes like sheep. I understand sixteen year olds are considered children. As I recall, one began work at age fourteen and children were not obese.
"Live a healthy life, you'll still die" sums it up well. Please shoot me if I get Alzheimer's!