Alzheimers carers support group

Susan S

Feb 16, 2008
newcastle upon Tyne
Went to a carers support group for the first time last night.

Barbara and I really enjoyed it, even though we met other carers who had some very sad stories.

We can recommend this type of support group. We got some good advice about contacting the social worker again and I have made some progress on that today. SW is going to re-assess Mam as she has definitely deteriorated since the last time she was seen. This is a big step forward as we had not seen the original report (or for that matter the SW) for over 4 weeks.

Hopefully this will lead to the PCT paying some costs.

Visited Mam today and she was a lot brighter, although she is still very weak and cannot walk far.

She complains of a sore neck which is not surprising as her head leans over towards her chest, I don't know if this is the result of mini strokes, perhaps other people have experience of this?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
She complains of a sore neck which is not surprising as her head leans over towards her chest

My mother now has good big lump at the back top of her neck from as her head keep drooping forward , but she can still mange to lift it up when walking with zimmer frame . when she sits down , she tends to put her elbow on the side chair holding head with a clinch feast, but when she naps her head go forward I have to wake her tell her to sleep with her head backward ageist the chair.

They tell me she also does that a lot at day center ( she tends to put her elbow on the side chair holding head with a clinch feast) when she does not want to join in .

so that means she wants to sleep if they not simulating her to keep her awake .that just from my observation of mum living with me at home .

Last edited:

forgetmenot

Jul 6, 2007
London
I agree the carers group run by the local alzheimers branch is a good opportunity to meet with others and share and you realise you are not alone. What you are going through is normal.

Hope you manage to continue going

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Susan and Barbara, commend what you are trying to do for your mum.

Hopefully meetings like your AS carers support group will help.
It is almost like 'networking' within an organisation.

I am sure that meetings like this will enable you both to move forward to gaining the help and support you need for mum.

Please let us know how you get on.