Alzheimers Care with Post-It Notes

reiroc

Sep 27, 2015
Hi, I'm currently researching if Post-It notes are often used during Alzheimer's treatment and care.

If so, how is it used? And is it effective? I'm searching for insights and stories about how people have used them. What is your opinion?

I've heard of caregivers using it to treat those living with the disease and felt really intrigued to learning more about it.

Thank you!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi reiroc, welcome to TP
I've tried to use the post it notes with my late mother and my wife, they simple don't work (in my experience). Put a note on the central heating switch saying "do not turn off" and it gets ignored, put on the fridge saying "close the door", same thing.
it may work for a time possibly, short term but a capacity goes post it notes aren't going to help. My wife can go to the loo and generally remembers to do so, she can pull her pants down, turn the light on and use the loo but when it comes to reversing the procedure not a hope. Possibly a post it note in her pants saying "pull back up" a note on the loo "flush after use" and another saying "now turn out the light", possibly then a map of how to get back to bed instead of standing in the toilet dooway calling for me, it's only 10 feet, you don't need a satnav.
In the very mild stage it might be a help but like anything in life after it's been there for a while you start to ignore it; 30mph speed limit, eating 5 a day and only drinking 2-3 units a day, sure the message is out there but like we all stick to it:)
K

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
OH will stick them on things to remind himself to do something but forgets to write on them what it is he needs to do. Sticky bits everywhere but no messages! I think I will try hiding them and bring them out if he gets frustrated with not having them.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I tried them with my husband, putting answers on to questions that he kept asking again and again like what day it was or things that he kept forgetting? he kept reading them aloud over and over then asking what they meant so it wasn't successful ,

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
I tried them with my husband, putting answers on to questions that he kept asking again and again like what day it was or things that he kept forgetting? he kept reading them aloud over and over then asking what they meant so it wasn't successful ,

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

I used a Whiteboard with the same outcome. Day, month, year and every detail he needed to know about him being picked up by a friend to go to his Rotary meeting, but insisted on reading it out loud every two minutes and questioning every single detail. Gave it up in the end - so much easier. In my opinion it was easier to tell him with a short while before he was picked up - no time for questions.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Being able to read is not the same as assimilating information so although it appears that the person reads and understands the note in fact it makes no impact. This is also true of pretty much every piece of writing - newspapers, books and magazines. My husband loves his football magazine and stares at each page for hours. Next day it is as if he had never seen it before.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My Mum used Postit type notes for years...well before the onset of her Dementia... I presume it was before, I've never thought about it as part of a timescale.:confused:
Because she was visually impaired and we could get really vigorous colours they were attached to anything that might need to be remembered. As her eyes and comprehension became worse we gravitated to A4 paper and thick black markers, but she was never without her postits.
They were attached to her drawers and labelled eg: nightwear, sweaters etc. They were on her wardrobe door, "Church Tomorrow" or " Docs 5:30" or to her front door saying " ASK WHO IS THERE" OR "DON'T GO OUT TONIGHT"
They were valuable during her early stages and a habit in the latter days....I nearly put a packet in her coffin, with a marker just in case.... ;)