Alzheimer's breakthrough- scientists discovery

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
*Daily Mail

Alzheimer's breakthrough as scientists discover how to stop disease in the earliest stages, paving the way for 'statin-like' drug
Study is 'starting point for drug that stops Alzheimer's in its tracks'
Research is first to reveal the way a naturally-occurring molecule can slow the formation of plaques in the brain
Amyloid plaques closely associated with declining memory and dementia
May lead to preventative treatment routinely taken by middle-aged people
Charities: Research promises to reduce 'catastrophic effect' of dementia
By Ben Spencer, Science Reporter for the Daily Mail
Published: 18:31, 16 February 2015 | Updated: 00:08, 17 February 2015

The breakthrough paves the way for a ‘statin-like’ drug that could be taken by millions to prevent dementia.
Cambridge University researchers have found a naturally occurring molecule that can slow the formation of plaques in the brain.
Amyloid plaques are closely associated with declining memory and other Alzheimer’s symptoms.
Lead author Dr Samuel Cohen told the Daily Mail last night: ‘This is the starting point for finding a drug that stops Alzheimer’s disease in its tracks. It might be used when the first symptoms appear. But another potential approach is that people would take it as a preventative drug.’
*The research, published in the journal Nature Structural and Molecular Biolog

*Dr Laura Phipps of Alzheimer’s Research UK said: ‘This study has revealed clues to how to block one important chain of events in the disease.’

*Dr Doug Brown of the Alzheimer’s Society added: ‘This revelation is exciting as it gives scientists a whole new way of looking at the problem, opening the doors to possible new treatments

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...aving-way-statin-like-drug.html#ixzz3Rza5cZ1k

*The Guardian Tue 17 Feb
Alzheimer's researchers find molecule that delays onset of disease
Scientists at the University of Cambridge have identified a crucial molecule that could put the brakes on the damage to the brain

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...-research-molecule-delay-onset-dementia-found

*Daily Express Tue 17 Feb
Hope for ‘crucial’ dementia cure within decade: Doctors closer to beating disease
SCIENTISTS say they hope to cure dementia within 10 years following the creation of an international initiative to beat the disease.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ed-in-10-years-following-Alzheimer-s-Research

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes, but don't forget once something that works is found, safety testing takes at least 10 years. No hope for our carees, I'm afraid.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't see myself as a negative person but it's just "another day, another cure" the DM run a story like this all the time. The headline says "Alzheimer's breakthrough"
Dr Cohen, of St John’s College, Cambridge, said
"that the findings open up new avenues for dementia research."
"The molecules themselves are not suitable for use in pills as they would not survive the digestive process"
"If a suitable molecule is discovered, it could open the way to a drug"
Some people read these headlines and think a cure is round the corner, it's just raising false hopes, one day a cure will be found but until someone comes up with something concrete I wish they'd leave it alone.
This is as the doctors says this is a new avenue where a suitable molecule needs to be found and then it may open the way to a new drug in what way is that a breakthrough.
A couple of years ago it was claimed statins would stop AZ as they break up amyloid plaques (link below) since then there's been a cure every.
K
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?43828-Alzheimers-statin-cure-claims-unfounded

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
My concern with this 'break through' is the scientists will be blinkered to other forms of dementia. Amyloidosis protein is not the only cause for dementia but can affect sufferers in very different ways.

My husband has amyloidosis which affected his kidneys, lungs and spleen. It becomes dementia when these horrible proteins attach theirselves to the brain. Still trying to decide if he was lucky or not. He can't work had to give up 3 years ago and still has a few years before he reaches retirement age.

If caught early enough, and it is quite possible to do this, it took 15 years of mis diagnosis before anyone worked out what was wrong by then the damage had been done. He did receive treatment and so far is in remission with regular checks. But the damage has been done. If they had stuck on his brain he would be a dementia patient instead of in renal failure - what a choice ):

So, for scientists to have this 'break through' regarding amyloid and dementia is I feel misguided as these proteins can be stopped before any real damage is done.

Having said that I hope this paves the way for finding more affective treatments for the other forms of dementia and doesn't make them tunnel visioned.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa