1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

Alzheimers and Buddhist meditation

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chris1123, Feb 10, 2018.

1. chris1123

chris1123 New member

Feb 3, 2018
    If a Buddha got Alzheimers, would you know? The real question being: if there is a core or kernel self that's independent of normal self, mind, memories and relationships, might a, say, 30-minute specially guided meditation session, singly or with a group, encourage and enable people with Alzheimers to let go of the struggle for a while and float. (Hindu meditation could be just as good, but it comes from a religion, which Buddhism doesn't.) Maybe it'd be impossible for some, but maybe it could help some.
  2. fortune

fortune Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    I used to take my mum to Buddhist meditation. I found it very good for stress, mum just went to sleep! But they were very nice people in the class and she enjoyed the tea and biscuits afterwards.
  3. chris1123

chris1123 New member

Feb 3, 2018
    Thanks for your lovely reply. I suppose you wouldn't know if your mum was 'meditating' or not, but perhaps the setting calmed her at least.
  4. Hippichic

Hippichic Registered User

Nov 14, 2016
    I have been taking an online course in Mindfulness meditation, I believe its roots are from Budhism/Hinduism meditation. I find it helpful for myself and tried some of the guided meditation audio recordings with my mother. So we did some mindfulness meditation together, she seemed to enjoy it and get involved. I am going to try to pursue this with her in an attempt to make her feel better and do something else besides watching TV! She is 90 and has mild vascular dementia, mostly has memory problems.