Alzheimers and Autism

millierochester

Aug 4, 2014
Hallo

I'm new to this forum, so hallo! I care for my husband who is a physically fit, strong person of 76 who has Alzheimers. I'm wondering if anyone out there is caring for someone who also has an autism spectrum disorder. I've always known him to be awkward and non communicative but it wasn't until I attended a memory group and we were discussing the people we cared for, that someone suggested he may have Aspergers. The consultant has now told me that this term is no longer used but that he does have autism. This explains an awful lot but doesn't help in dealing with the Alzheimers. My husband does not discuss his feelings, my feelings, his problem, ways to help each of us - nothing. Some days he just sulks. For instance, today he has been sitting on the sofa since 7.00 a.m. (it's now 2.30 p.m.), he's refused all food and drink and will not speak except to answer in monosyllables. I know it will pass but it creates such an atmosphere and really brings me down. Anyone else have a similar problem? Would love to hear from you. Thanks

Connie47

Nov 12, 2013
I have a 20year son who has Aspergers or ASD syndrome will happily share if I can help, but will say that an ASD sufferer does not understand feelings and emotions either theirs or others, my son describes it as being on an island talking to people on the phone

Warrior Mum

Jul 20, 2014
Cambridgeshire
My 7 year old son has autism, my mum has mixed type dementia and my hubby has vascular dementia. Both my son and mum send alot of time in they own little worlds and I have found it alot easier if when communicating with them you use short, clear sentences. Keep everything "black and white" no grey so that they are not pressured into long replies. Trying to get an autistic person to talk about their feelings is very hard and they struggle to understand how this effects other people.

I hope this helps.

Take care, Warrior Mum XxxxX

Deanne100

Nov 26, 2020
Hi @millierochester.

I've had the same thoughts too! My DD is now 22. She was dx with autism at 3. Years ago, I noticed behavioural similarities between her and Mum. No one took any notice of me.

Years later, and only 5 months since I learned that my Mum has Alzheimer's....ping....hence some of her difficult personality traits.

Fortunately, I did a great deal of intervention with my DD. It's been said by a professional that if she was reassessed, she would not get the same dx :). I see bits here and there, delayed thought processing and literal understanding etc but very mild. We now just refer to her differences as quirks, which we all have :)

I consider myself lucky because I have the insight of 'speech and language' methodology etc. It's too late to even contemplate interventions with Mum but I hope I can at least communicate with her effectively. In the short time, since I became aware of her dx, I have witnessed people who should know better, communicating in the completely wrong manner. Well meaning but ......

I'd love to hear an update :) x

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Deanne100
just to let you know that this is an old thread from 2014 (you can see the date of each post at extreme top left of every text box)
and the members haven't been back to DTP for years - you can tell this from their profile

Deanne100

Nov 26, 2020
@Shedrech Hi.. Thanks, I'd seen the date but couldn't be sure if the author would get an email and respond, or if the thread might be bumped up and reawakened, so to speak :)
If no one responds, I'll start a new thread. I find the subject so fascinating and would love to hear others thought. I defo missed my vocation :)
Thanks again :) x