Alzheimer is a mental raping

jayjayb

Apr 28, 2006
Kansas City
I have been caring for my mother for 8 years. She is at the stage of force feeding and does not converse anymore, not even the embellishing that is so familiar. I left my job years ago because my employer was constantly leaning on me about FMLA. Oh it is against the law but they can do it so smoothly that you are not aware until it is all over you:) I started my own home business to compensate and the pressure to perform and to care for a love one is still there.
I miss my mother very much and sometime I sit up (my sense of humor keeps me afloat) and say "What did you do with my mother?" My mother replies "I don't know". It have been a long 8 years. I have lost friends, family and jobs. I have 5 siblings that state they can not handle it. So I have. I have stopped being angry with them because it took so much energy and thinking. It was killing me. Last night I got upset with my mother because she was scared of me. She cried and I did too. Today she knows me so I'm all right again. I am the only one that she knows. My advice to anyone dealing with the first stages of Alz's is to sit down and get all the information you can about family history, their feelings about certain events that have taken place and that will take place. Sit down, calm down and adjust your seat belt. You are in for the ride of your life and your love ones life.
Signed: Getting some of the pain out.

sophia

Apr 20, 2006
Fmla?

Hi Jayjayb - I'm fairly new and appreciate the advice. My mum was diagnosed a year ago and when I phoned the local AD helpline the lovely volunteer I now know rather well said " It's a whole new world" . It sure is. You are further down the path / journey / chamber of horrors than me I know, but I want to say , you're in the USA I'm in the UK, we don't know each other, but we sort of do, because who else understands what all this feels like? We do understand each other. It can be a long ride you're telling me. And to relax. Ioften think I must pace myself and try and let some stuff float above me, and not respond to everything like it's a calamity. And know that tomorrow is another day. To get through and try and win through! We are about to buy house with annexe for mum. But will have help coming in too, and I am about tostart work part time, instead of fulltime as before. What's FMLA? It is not a family friendly working environment sensitive to carers I'm guessing! You sound like you have been through so much and not had any support from anywhere much. Well here is some moral support at least. You have achieved so much by the sounds of it. Got over many hurdles, and kept your sense of humour. Kept your mum going all this time. Kept a livelihood. Reinvented yourself, held everything together. Managed. Managing. It's essential to let off steam. Carry on! x

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
jayjayb said:
I have 5 siblings that state they can not handle it. So I have. I have stopped being angry with them because it took so much energy and thinking.
Signed: Getting some of the pain out.
Hi JayJayB,
You are SO wise in the above logic. There's no point in stressing about things you cannot change, you just add to your own frustration & difficulties by wasting time thinking about it. As you said, it's a rough ride, and a long one for you at 8 years.
I was going to say "congratulations on staying the course" but it's not exactly the kind of achievement you want to celebrate, is it!
I'm sure you know, but I'll say it anyway; Your Mum (the real one, pre-AD) must be SO proud of you.

Best wishes

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Jay Jay,
We are neighboors. My Mom is in advanced stage as well but still lives at home with my step Dad down the street. I also am the only sibling caring for my folks out of six! They come around for a few hours and high tail it back to Texas saying, " wow, so glad your here to take care of them Debbie" I say bye bye and hope you have a flat on the way home. ( not really, just fun to say that)
We got a call last night from Mom. She was paniced because she said a neighboor was in the house and she couldn't find Ed ( her husband). We ran over because they have called upon a neighboor to help out before and my step Dad has been in and out of the hospital the last couple months. But, she just didn't recognize hiim, thought him a strange neighboor and also thought he had hurt "her Ed". Took a couple hours to settle her down and finally we were able to leave. This morning it is as if it never happened.
I gave up my career last year but cannot look for a job since this is now my job. I"m trying to do some things from home as well but it is hard to make it successful when it is at the bottom of my priority list. But, this won't last forever and I know I am doing the right thing and honestly wouldn't have it any other way.
It's a whole new world alright, like a bad episode of the Twilite Zone!
Take care,
Debbie

jayjayb

Apr 28, 2006
Kansas City
The Storm Has Passed Over

Hello everyone. I have not posted anything because I was trying to be with my Mom as much as possible in her final days. She passed very peacefully June 18th in my home. The final days were as if God lifted the film from my mother's mind and let her have a clear day. She told me she was tired and worn out. Two days before she passed she reached out and cupped my face in her hands. She could not talk at this point but the caress was felt deep within my soul. My mother has won the battle against Alzheimer Disease. This the only way to win the struggle against it. I hope that someone somewhere who has a love one with the Disease gets the blessing of a cure for the "Mental Raping Disease" The thief of our love ones. Pray for me and I will lift you all up in your struggle. God Bless.

jayjayb
"When you rejoice in your heart despite the hardships
you're facing - that's the alabaster box of praise."

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya JayJayB,
Sorry to hear about your mother's death, but as you say she has beaten Alzheimers now. That clear day was such a gift - for you to know that you were known and cherished, and for your mother to know the same.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Helen

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
JayJay,
I am so sorry for you loss but happy that your Mom is in a better place and free of dimentia. Take care and God Bless.
Debbie

jeannette

Feb 27, 2006
peace

Dear JayJay,
I'm so very sorry that you have lost your mother, but so glad, as the others, that you had those very special clear moments with her at the end.
You seem, to me, to have been heroic: the most wonderfully loving of daughters. Your mother was desperately unlucky to have AD, but blessed to have you.
All the best for your future.
Jeannette

mocha

Feb 17, 2006
Lancs, England
How we were.

I have come to the conclusion that Alzheimers is a very painful disease. The sufferer has the disease and the carer has the pain.
May you find peace in the future and remember your Mum as the loving person she was.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Dear JayJay

I'm sorry your mother has passed from this world, but pleased she is now free from AD, and that you and she had that precious time together at the end of that hard journey.

God Bless

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The Storm has passed over.

Dear Jayjay

The tears fell when I read of the passing of your mother. Even though I will never know you or her, we share the pain of Alzheimers.
I really can say I know how both you and your mother have suffered, each of you in your own way, and I hope you will find consolation in knowing your mother is free from suffering now, and at peace.
You must take heart in the knowledge that you have been a wonderful daughter and gave all you could to your mother in her final years.
Try to start to live now, Jayjay.
With love Grannie G

jayjayb

Apr 28, 2006
Kansas City
Touching Bases

Hi everyone:) Just wanted to let you know how things are going since my Mom won the battle with Alzheimer's. I still have my Alzheimer Day Care and it is my passion now to help the clients and the families affected. Mrs. P. (I will call her) has been with me through the last year of taking care of Mom. Mrs. P's Alz has progressed but she knows who I am and constantly wants to help me. She stand at my mother's room but does not know why she stands there. She is frightened by her children moving her around and I try to comfort her by telling her that they all love her and they're trying work. They are having a lot of the problems I had at first and I try to assure them that they will get through it. It would definitely be lying to tell them that it gets better because I see the deterioration each month.

I have another one that is unpredictable. One day she loves me and I can't get away from her:) and the next day she is quiet and combative. But this passes too. When I got her she did not talk as if she was aphasic......not now!! She ask the other ladies around the activity table if she could help them and the room became quiet as a mouse before everyone burst out with "Mrs. V. can talk!!!! It was a tear jerking moment for her daughter when she picked her up.

I try my darness to apply all the techniques that worked for me. They do not always work for others because every sufferer is different. Sometime I think that my mother "Gracie" is guiding my feet, her a the Lord:)

Yesterday was my mother's Birthday. I got through it and I am getting better with each day. I still beat myself up for getting angry at the disease and my mom. I still wonder if I did all that could be done to make life just a little better for her. I took a lot of comfort in the article on this website about "It's alright to be angry". Frustration and lack of wisdom about the disease makes one angry. Ask God for help and mercy and you will get through it too.
I love and miss my Mom something terrible but the joy I get when one of my people finds pleasure in just child like games and pleasures it keeps me going. That is the comforter that God sent to replace my Mom.
I wish everyone strength and patience. It's a must have:):)

Love today. Tomorrow is not promised.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Jay, you are working through the grief for your mother by caring for others. You are an inspiration. Sylvia x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have also been thinking of what work I shall do after my mother passes away, I think I would love to get into working with the elderly in care home or home help , as I would find it very rewarding

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
jayjayb said:
Love today. Tomorrow is not promised.

What a beautiful philosophy! Thanks for the post! :) Your tale of 'Mrs V' brought a tear! And well done! You have a 'qualification' that could never be measured!!!!

Love, Karen, x

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Some of the teachers aides (for children with special needs) whom I teach are also the parents of children with special needs. It qualifies them to work in this area in ways which are unique and extremely valuable. I think anyone who has been (or is) a TP member would be the same in the field of aged care - especially in dementia. I am in awe of those of you who can manage this is two areas of your life (both professional and personal). What very special people you are! Nell

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain