Alzheimer’s Dementia & Mesothelioma

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
Hi Am after highlighting few of my experiences with regard Alzheimer’s Dementia & Mesothelioma.

Some like to think those suffering Alzheimer’s Dementia won’t suffer from Mesothelioma.

Well this is position we find our selfs in as carer for my dad who as Alzheimer’s Dementia & Cancer at age 70

Sadly my dad as no short turn memory AND in final stages of Alzheimer’s Dementia and just been dx with lung cancer.

As to treatment options WELL there is none AS he is to unwell.

Guess it’s lucky he forgets I just hope dementia spares him from cancer.

But am posting this as to highlight Mesothelioma in Alzheimer’s Dementia Suffers.

Why well if I don’t WHO will ... when I went with dad for results of ct scan I was expecting lung nodule.

Was shocked to see mass in plaura entering lung wall.

Given my own health lung condition I knew it was Mesothelioma.

So I just wanted to find out if others have had dx OF Mesothelioma with there Alzheimer’s Dementia.

Or is it like I surspect Alzheimer’s Dementia suffers don’t suffer it when they developed Cancer or Mesothelioma.

I guess it’s bit like sepsis when you suffer Alzheimer’s Dementia

According to hospitals Alzheimer’s Dementia patients don’t suffer it ... even tho they suffer chronic neglect renal faulular pneumonia

It’s quite sad things I have experienced as gaurden WILE my dad as had Alzheimer’s Dementia.

As carer what more can I do than share my experiences and highlight issues concerns.

Is that NOT what safeguarding is all about.

Attachments

• D02F5C3E-5298-45A4-8D91-EB556E8D0A57.jpeg
    D02F5C3E-5298-45A4-8D91-EB556E8D0A57.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 577

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Jeff, welcome to TP
There are many people on here caring for someone with AZ and other conditions, various forms of cancer are one but Parkinson's, MS and COPD are quite common too.
I would think that there are quite a few people in this area who have both Mesothelioma and AZ as a large employer in Trafford Park made asbestos products so this area has a much higher than average number of people with Mesothelioma.
Likewise Chapel-en-le Frith in the Peak District had a big local employer who manufactured asbestos products so in areas like these I'm sure you'd find a higher than average number of people with both conditions, I'm sure there are pockets like this throughout the country where people have both Mesothelioma and AZ.
Dealing with someone with AZ and any other condition can be very difficult specially in the later stages as many of us on here know only too well.
K

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, @JeffAjaxSmith, and welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to hear about your dad and your need to find your way here.

I'm sorry that I have no personal experience with mesothelioma, either as a primary diagnosis or secondary to dementia. However, I know there are members here on TP who do have experience with someone with both dementia and cancer, or other medical conditions, which can make treating any of it, quite challenging or impossible.

A sad, but valuable, reminder, that the dementia diagnosis doesn't mean there won't be other issues to deal with.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I live in area where there was quite a lot of industry, refineries, manufacturing etc and it is not unusual to know either people or friends of people who have suffered with mesothelioma. Once they are diagnosed, it is standard practice for the company that employed them to make a confidential settlement.

We lost a friend a few months ago who suffered with mesothelioma but I would have to say that he didn't live long enough for dementia to develop if he was getting it. If the mesothelioma shows up earlier than later, then it reduces the probability of developing dementia at the same time. I don't really understand why it couldn't happen though, just as many people with different dementias can develop cancers, heart conditions and other diseases.

My husband has Alzheimer's, heart failure and will be having X-rays this week to rule out cancer. Since his diagnosis, he has had numerous other health problems and all you have to do is read many of the posts on TP to see that there are many people in the same boat.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I know of several sufferers from this lung disease acquired as a result of working in the shipyards in Glasgow in the sixties and seventies. One was a close friend who was an electrician. The disease in their cases was so invasive they died before getting old enough to develop dementia. Yes they were given compensation but it really was nothing compared with the damage done.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I know of several sufferers from this lung disease acquired as a result of working in the shipyards in Glasgow in the sixties and seventies. One was a close friend who was an electrician. The disease in their cases was so invasive they died before getting old enough to develop dementia. Yes they were given compensation but it really was nothing compared with the damage done.
Absolutely agree. The thing about the early financial settlements was that the victim of this awful disease never had to contest it in court, it was paid immediately once the diagnosis was made and they were able to make sure their families were secure. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
Hello @JeffAjaxSmith, welcome to Talking Point, though I am sorry you have had cause to find us. I am so very sad to hear of your Dad's diagnosis. It is difficult enough to deal with Alzheimer's as a carer, without an additional illness on top of that and you must be worried sick. Unfortunately I have no experience of your Dad's secondary illness at all, but did not want to read your post and pass you by without a reply. I believe that this form of cancer is linked to asbestos or working with asbestos historically? Hopefully, by responding it will bump you up in the threads and someone who can help or offer advice will come along soon. You can post here anytime. There will always be someone to listen and understand and even if they have no experience of your particular situation, it can be comforting just to know someone 'out there' cares.

Hi @Carmar thanks for reply thought.

Over last ten years we truly had horrudus time with dad’s condition.

Only time we revived help was in last two years when police was involved.

Dose leave bitter taste really.

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
Hi Jeff, welcome to TP
There are many people on here caring for someone with AZ and other conditions, various forms of cancer are one but Parkinson's, MS and COPD are quite common too.
I would think that there are quite a few people in this area who have both Mesothelioma and AZ as a large employer in Trafford Park made asbestos products so this area has a much higher than average number of people with Mesothelioma.
Likewise Chapel-en-le Frith in the Peak District had a big local employer who manufactured asbestos products so in areas like these I'm sure you'd find a higher than average number of people with both conditions, I'm sure there are pockets like this throughout the country where people have both Mesothelioma and AZ.
Dealing with someone with AZ and any other condition can be very difficult specially in the later stages as many of us on here know only too well.
K

Hi @Kevinl thanks for reply.

I had been on this site few times reading post experiences.

Is all sad devastating really.

When my dad was in hospital the neglect suffers suffer is horrendous I found.

Well invoked issues of safeguarding when my dad devolved sepsis after hip operation.

So I become a local champion improving dementia care at my dads hospital after he’s run in with sepsis hospital neglect.

As to asbestos is one thing you don’t read about is dementia suffers suffering form asbestos related cancer.

Guess that’s why did post as like hospitals neglect them ... I think same go’d for asbestos related cancers

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
Hello, @JeffAjaxSmith, and welcome to Talking Point. I'm sorry to hear about your dad and your need to find your way here.

I'm sorry that I have no personal experience with mesothelioma, either as a primary diagnosis or secondary to dementia. However, I know there are members here on TP who do have experience with someone with both dementia and cancer, or other medical conditions, which can make treating any of it, quite challenging or impossible.

A sad, but valuable, reminder, that the dementia diagnosis doesn't mean there won't be other issues to deal with.

Hi @Amy in the US thanks for reply.

Have read few members post and your right is complex business being full time career.

We have been through hell BUT is worth remembering the ill at the end of the day.

With understanding comes compassion emphthy.

Is truly a devastating disease

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
I live in area where there was quite a lot of industry, refineries, manufacturing etc and it is not unusual to know either people or friends of people who have suffered with mesothelioma. Once they are diagnosed, it is standard practice for the company that employed them to make a confidential settlement.

We lost a friend a few months ago who suffered with mesothelioma but I would have to say that he didn't live long enough for dementia to develop if he was getting it. If the mesothelioma shows up earlier than later, then it reduces the probability of developing dementia at the same time. I don't really understand why it couldn't happen though, just as many people with different dementias can develop cancers, heart conditions and other diseases.

My husband has Alzheimer's, heart failure and will be having X-rays this week to rule out cancer. Since his diagnosis, he has had numerous other health problems and all you have to do is read many of the posts on TP to see that there are many people in the same boat.

Hi @Lawson58 it’s not really that it don’t happen .. I think it’s lack of interest given the conditions.

Guess that’s why I talk a lot about neglect AS that’s what I have found.

As to cancer mesothelioma we are having hard time getting dad blood sugers down so can have pet scan so can see how wide spread cancer is.

We have solicitor coming out to take statment re water board and turners asbestos.

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Absolutely agree. The thing about the early financial settlements was that the victim of this awful disease never had to contest it in court, it was paid immediately once the diagnosis was made and they were able to make sure their families were secure. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

My father developed asbestosis from his lifetime working in asbestos lagged engine rooms as an engineer in the Royal Navy. He died before it developed into mesothelioma.

The Navy’s response was that his smoking had contributed to his condition, therefore they didn’t take responsibility nor would be paying any compensation.

My mother was by then herself unwell with Parkinson’s, so no longer felt able to carry on with that fight.

The Navy’s response was not unusual, and there were some sufferers whose service records had been “lost”, so again no compensation paid. Very disappointing to get such a denial after a lifetime’s service.

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
My father developed asbestosis from his lifetime working in asbestos lagged engine rooms as an engineer in the Royal Navy. He died before it developed into mesothelioma.

The Navy’s response was that his smoking had contributed to his condition, therefore they didn’t take responsibility nor would be paying any compensation.

My mother was by then herself unwell with Parkinson’s, so no longer felt able to carry on with that fight.

The Navy’s response was not unusual, and there were some sufferers whose service records had been “lost”, so again no compensation paid. Very disappointing to get such a denial after a lifetime’s service.

Hi @nicoise sorry to read about dad’s issues with asbestos.

Componsation is disgrace THEY know those with asbestosis will more than likely surcome to congestive heart failular yet award componsation on % terms if lucky to get it.

Is disgrace even criminal in my view.

I had claim accepted then later retracted by a IIDB judge.

I suffer mixed dust asbestos and silica YET iidb accecpted my claim given my own lung condition THEN when I went tribunal to contest % judge tried to take my claim from me.

Sighting I sufferd asbestos fibers in lung scaring from eating breed.

Scandalous stuff they get or try get away with

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
You are right, Jeffajaxsmith, it is scandalous, and saddened me that the esteem my father had held the Navy in was tarnished by its refusal to acknowledge that his work conditions were the sole cause of his asbestosis.

I’m glad you were successful with your claim, though I suspect the sum was not really adequate in having to live with the effects of your illness.

Best wishes

JeffAjaxSmith

Jan 5, 2018
Well it’s all going on as carrer for my dad who as Alzheimer’s Dementia and now lung cancer I surspect Is asbestos related mesothelioma due to he’s stint in turners asbestos cement.

So I have took it on myself to highlight Asbestos Mesothelioma in those who suffer from Alzheimer’s Dementia.

I guess like me you never give mesothelioma in Alzheimer’s Dementia patients a second thought till you read this post.

Guess it happens and just like those with Alzheimer’s Dementia is quite a neglected underplayed condition.

Like HOW many have you heard off ... exacalty my point.

Well it’s all been going on MY dad who lives at home with us is in final stages of Alzheimer’s Dementia with NEW cancer DX.

It’s quite a long story BUT i will keep current TO title of my post.

In a month my dads back having CT Scan to check on progress of Mesothelioma lung cancer.

Luckerly my dad forgets as soon as he is told he as cancer BUT it’s no less heart braking.

We have spocken to a solicitor AND I expressed my concerns given my dads prognosis Alzheimer’s Dementia THAT this cancer Mesothelioma is not going to be buried.

We’ll solicitor agreed that things like that do go on AND I would be surprised by extent.

My goal is to secure best cancer treatment for my dad AND if turners have to pay for it even better.

But at this moment OTHER issue as cropped up THATs one of Antibiotics Resctsnce Antibiotics use in Alzheimer’s Dementia suffers.

Since my dad as been on Ciprofloxacin for kidney infection he as sad bouts of aggression minor in nature THE like I have not seen in year.

Sure it could be infection making him agitated BUT as I surspect I think it’s the Antibiotics.

Guess any cancer treatments IF dad’s well enough to have them might have same effect as antibiotics.

Attachments

• D7AFED4B-21B9-458A-A31D-2596F7AA36D6.jpeg
    D7AFED4B-21B9-458A-A31D-2596F7AA36D6.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 462

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba