Alzheimer’s and pets

TeddyBear77

Aug 29, 2018
I have a partner recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s late onset, even though it’s been happening for years - he’s in his Kate 60’s. Things have been difficult but now the DVLA have taken away his driving licence he’s devastated. Also just before lockdown he was taking our young dog for a walk when he decided to tie her up by outside a shop - which we’ve never done before. She managed to escape and was hit by a car. Sustained a very bad injury to her leg but has now thankfully fully recovered. The vets were wonderful. My problem is that I cannot let him take her out on his own in case something happens again. It wasn’t the first time as when only a pup he didn’t put her harness on correctly and she ran into the middle of a busy A road. By chance he managed to stop the cars. Has anyone found themselves in this situation?
My husband cannot understand why others can take her for a walk and he can’t. I’ve explained he can take her but only with me by his side. Says I don’t Trust him. Would like to hear from anyone who has experienced this situation.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sorry have no experience of this other than to suggest that you could possibly try and make the excuse that it would be nice if you could go out together. Good luck

Gorgeous Gail

Apr 17, 2020
I have had a similar issue with my OH re the driving. It was me who mentioned if he should still be driving just before he was diagnosed and he blames me for being told he shouldn't. Fortunately, my OH has a mobility issue which means he can't walk our dog on his own anymore as he is liable to fall but I know he misses it.

Unfortunately as the person closest you will be seen as the bad guy and it does hurt.

@Jale's suggestion sounds good and definitely worth a try. Wishing you lots of luck.

Florencefennel

Jun 11, 2018
I have a 3year old dog who I trained from a puppy as my partner who has FTD and Alzheimer’s didn’t get on with her at all. I was upset at the time but now he loves her and wants to take her out but she won’t go out unless I come. I’m very relieved as I couldn’t trust him to be aware of the traffic with her. I think you have to be firm about this and just work on having good walks all together. It’s really not worth the worry.

TeddyBear77

Aug 29, 2018
I have a 3year old dog who I trained from a puppy as my partner who has FTD and Alzheimer’s didn’t get on with her at all. I was upset at the time but now he loves her and wants to take her out but she won’t go out unless I come. I’m very relieved as I couldn’t trust him to be aware of the traffic with her. I think you have to be firm about this and just work on having good walks all together. It’s really not worth the worry.

Trici

Jan 12, 2020
I thought it was just me!
My partner has been told not to drive or go out on his own and he doesn't have the strength to give our dog the exercise she needs.
He is very bitter about not being able to drive or go out on his own and will not accept that it was not me who stopped him but his psychiatrist. As for walking the dog we have a dog walker 3 days a week and he still wants to walk her out when she gets back. We walk her the other days, but only gentle walks as he can't cope.
Thank you for listening and I am pleased I am not on my own.