Alzheimer’s and PCA

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
its very difficult trying to describe how it affects your sight, but today I came across this, that best describes what happens to my sight when I go somewhere I have not been to for some time or totally new.

Hope this may help someone or their carers understand more❤️

I do go on a forum for PCA that only has a bit over 1,000 people on it even though it goes world wide. My own Memory clinic had not heard of it with the exception of one consultant, but after learning more about it agreed that I have it.
Despite the brains effect on the my sight it is not all bad, I have retained much of my brain function so far re memory, but still have bad days when can’t remember what I was going to say etc, but again I am lucky too have an Optician who knows of PCA and for a while can adjust my glasses too help me.
It obviously has more of an adverse affect on someone younger❤️
PS when I go in an unfamiliar supermarket it makes it impossible to read a products price or any information on it, even a picture of it is impossible for me too understand what it is.

Last edited:

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
its very difficult trying to describe how it affects your sight, but today I came across this, that best describes what happens to my sight when I go somewhere I have not been to for some time or totally new.

Hope this may help someone or their carers understand more❤️

I do go on a forum for PCA that only has a bit over 1,000 people on it even though it goes world wide. My own Memory clinic had not heard of it with the exception of one consultant, but after learning more about it agreed that I have it.
Despite the brains effect on the my sight it is not all bad, I have retained much of my brain function so far re memory, but still have bad days when can’t remember what I was going to say etc, but again I am lucky too have an Optician who knows of PCA and for a while can adjust my glasses too help me.
It obviously has more of an adverse affect on someone younger❤️
PS when I go in an unfamiliar supermarket it makes it impossible to read a products price or any information on it, even a picture of it is impossible for me too understand what it is.
Very interesting and helpful for all those discovering more about the scope of Alzheimer's disease. I recall, somewhere, a paper on Bensons(PCA) (sorry, cannot recall where) which seemed to suggest that memory was not compromised in such a way as say with Alzheimer's alone, yet the visual aspect was - as you kindly explain here. Thank you for this input.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Very interesting and helpful for all those discovering more about the scope of Alzheimer's disease. I recall, somewhere, a paper on Bensons(PCA) (sorry, cannot recall where) which seemed to suggest that memory was not compromised in such a way as say with Alzheimer's alone, yet the visual aspect was - as you kindly explain here. Thank you for this input.

Pleased it may help more people to get diagnosed❤️ I don’t believe we are much further on now than Benson was. More research being done in America and some are being registered blind! Not because they are actually blind, but because the brain is distorting their sight so much that they can’t make sense of what they are seeing❤️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL