Alzheimer’s and Diabetes

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Alzheimer’s and Diabetes

I picked up on this article a few days ago in a well known UK newspaper and as no one seems to have mentioned about it on this website thought it might be of interest to those of you who’s spouse or family member might also have the complication of Alzheimer’s and Diabetes, it makes interesting reading and made me think about my own Alzheimer’s and type 2 Diabetes, maybe there is some credibility in the research findings as I can tell from my own condition that over the almost 5 years since I was first diagnosed that my own memory loss is very slow compared to others who do not have diabetes, in fact I often think that despite a lot of exercises my physical condition is declining faster than my memory loss.:confused:

I would be very interested to know if any other people who have the two conditions have noticed the same thing.

Follow this link to read the article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...-decline-in-Alzheimers-patients-research.html

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
A D and Diabetes.

Ifound this post very interesting and possibly relevant to my wifes condition
She has both AD and Diabetes (Type 2) Diabetes was diagnosed about two and a half years ago and she was on tablets for 1year snce then she has been on insulin ( 4 times a day)
Her diagnosis of AD was about a year ago ,but she had been showing symptons for about two years before I could persuade the doctor to put it down to something but old age (she is 81)
Since she was diagnosed ,and been on aricept, I have noticed that her condition did not appear to be worsening as much as it did before, and put this down to the aricept
The relevant point is that as her diabetes is difficult to control ,and she is on a high dose of insulin, it could be that this is having some affect on her AD (if the assumption is correct
Jimbo 111

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Barry

My husband too has Alzheimers and drug controlled Type 2 Diabetes. His dementia showed a slow decline for a few years but now 4 years after diagnosis and 10 years after onset, his memory is of seconds rather than minutes.
He does still have quite a lot of insight into his condition and periods of absolute clarity, especially with long term interests such as politics and astronomy.
His cognitive level is very low though.