Always tired

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
Since we found out if not before that my other half has vascular dementia,he is always tired more so late afternoon. I could understand if he had done a hard days work but these days doesnt do much.Is it the dementia that is making him tired or something else? Is there any one out there with the same problem?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
My dad was the same. It takes a massive amount of energy for them to do things & they seem to needs so much more rest.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Angtrog, and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very supportive and informative place to be.
Does your husband get more confused as well as tired in the afternoon? If so it could be 'sundowning', which often affects people with dementia in the afternoon. That's the time a person with dementia (PWD) often can get restless, want to go home or generally seem more muddled than usual.
I also think trying to make sense of a world that is making less and less sense must be tiring. I'm deaf and if I have to concentrate, in a meeting for instance, I find it wears me out, and I imagine it is similar for someone with dementia.
Do have a look round and read other people's posts, you'll pick up lots of tips and find loads of support.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Vascular dementia can give you a snoozer! I am looking at one now !
The other thing I would look out for is heart failure, that can make you sleepy.
In older people when they get unusual breathlessness I always think
breathless = heart.
Do not mistake my words I am not saying he has heart failure, I am saying it is one of the things you could give thought to.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband is the same about 2pm and gets restless in the evening. hes got copd as well which tires him out. vascular involves the blood vessels in the brain. they get narrow so not as much oxygen gets to the brain. i trained in all dementia when i worked as each dementia is a bit different.

Angtrog

Mar 25, 2020
Thanks for all your comments and advice will definitely be keeping an eye open

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan Smith