Altzheimer's Victory

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Friends,

Has anyone read the Daily Mail article of yesterday 2 Feb, with respect to Barbara Pointon's landmark victory to force the Cambridgshire NHS to pay for her husband's care fees.

According to the report by Jenny Hope [what a great name..] Barbara's husband was diagnosed with AD 12 years ago and given 7 years to live. She had to take early retirement from her teaching post to care for husband Malcom [also a teacher - here we go again on the teacher routine....] Due to her daily care and support for her husband at home, he is still as well as could be expected, having survived 5 years longer than the prognosis from the medical profession.

After years of battles, Barbara finally made a complaint against the Cambridgeshire Health Authority which has been upheld by the Ombudsman and her husband will now receive 100% NHS care at home at £1000 per week.

Further - and most importantly ....

'The ruling means that other NHS Trusts will have to follow suit or risk being investigated by the Ombudsman...'

I have emailed Jenny Hope at j.hope@dailymail.co.uk firstly to offer my thanks for her article and also to request her to pass on my personal thanks to Barbara Pointon for her untiring devotion and diligence in securing a landmark victory for her husband and indeed, all AD suffers. Will you PLEASE ALL DO THE SAME?

This brave woman has set a precident for laws to be changed as soon as possible. We need to lobby MP's, media and follow this up rapidly. Barbara is quoted as saying 'I fought for the principle, not the money and I hope other people can benefit as a result.' Absolutely - there is no money available that could possibly recompense our loved ones for the loss of the quality of their lives or their memories. The issue is purely, as I see it - please give us some funding and support so that our parents, spouses and families can continue to provide ongoing care AT HOME where it is most desperately needed and where AD suffers are loved and feel most secure.

I'm sure Jenny Hope will pass on all messages, especially if she is indundated with emails.

What can we all do next? Lobby our local NHS and contact the Ombudsman to ensure that all AD suffers can now expect similar help. Maybe the AD Society has a point of view and can help too.

Best wishes to all,

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude
Emailed as you requested,nice acknowledgment from "the Mail" perhaps we may have started something with good PR
Best Wishes
Norm

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Thanks for making it so easy for us, Jude! I have also emailed my mp (via the quick route on this site). How I admire Barbara Pointon for her energy and determination!
Best wishes, Carmen

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman and Carmen,

Well Done - great stuff! Now - can you tell me how to email my MP via this quick route, as I'm not sure how one does this. I am also going to contact our local CPN and find out if she can create a few waves as well. Also am going to write an article for our local Surrey Advertiser, as well as try to find out if I can contact Barbara directly. I'm pretty sure that she would have some invaluable information for this website.

Best wishes, Jude

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Jude,
As you log onto the Alzheimers Website, I think the first article refers to emailing your mp: as you click into it, you can enter your post code, this takes you to a prepared email form and letter template, which you can adapt in any way that suits you. Hope it works as easily for you as it did for me.
Cheers! Carmen

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude
click on HOME then postcode which will bring up your MPs name.
Delete all from the sample template,go to the Alzheimers victory press release,highlight it,click copy,go to blank template and click paste,you will now have the article in full to send to your MP
good luck
regards
Norm

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi Jude and friends

The society has produced some guidelines on how we can respond to this great milestone in history.
I'm sure many of you have seen the links on the main web site but for those who havent;

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/News_and_Campaigns/Campaigning/***************.htm

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear All,

So far I've sent emails to my local MP who has forwarded them directly to the House of Commons. Also have send an article to local media in Surrey and NHS Trusts.

Let's all keep the ball rolling. Thanks Angela for the info.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Norman,

I had a very prompt reply from our MP informing me that my email had been sent to the House of Commons immediately and with best wishes. Keep emailing if you don't get a response.

Jude

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there - I emailed a whole range of people! The situation as you no doubt know is different in Scotland so I emailed MPs and MSPs. In Scotland we have free nursing care for the elderly - very recent. On Monday, Sam Galbraith, an ex minister in the Scottish Parliament made some dreadful comments about the funding for this being taken from Cancer Care. It has caused a bit of a stir up here so I also included this in my emails. I have had a response from one of the MSPs.

Good luck
Izzy