altzheimers stages

farrand

Jun 4, 2013
hampshire
my husband is classed as having severe altzheimers. he has had dementia for about 8-9 years. can anyone tell me about the stages of dementia. is it their behaviour or the length of time they have had it? thank you.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
my husband is classed as having severe altzheimers. he has had dementia for about 8-9 years. can anyone tell me about the stages of dementia. is it their behaviour or the length of time they have had it? thank you.

I know there's someone here who knows where all the links are, ferrand.

What really unhappy news you've had. Hang about - I'm off to see if I can find some of those links from here...

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

Everybody is different. Some people are in denial for so long, and go to great lengths to hide things, that they may have a shorter assessment time, but their behaviour may suggest otherwise.

There isn't a Richter scale, so you can't say with definitive certainty "X has had this illness for Y years and often does ABC, so they must be advanced". Some people respond well to medication, so may have the same type of behaviour for years, and then suddenly deteriorate.

Or they may deteriorate gradually and then stay at one point for ages. From a carer's point of view, it's a case of finding the things that work for you, and help make life as bearable as possible. :)

farrand

Jun 4, 2013
hampshire
alzheimers stages.

thank you all for yor replies. i shall go on to those links,but it is a guessing game when it first started i know. much appreciated.x farrand.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I dont think time is a good guide as to what stage someone is. I asked the consultant when mum was fist diagnosed how long she would be likely to go on for and his reply was "How long is a piece of string?"
The best way to view the stages IMO it to consider his symptoms and behavior and work out which stage most closely fits.

tomgee3425

Feb 3, 2014
Negombo Sri Lanka
Stages

Hi farrand,
I bought a book called Alzheimers for Dummies from WH Smith £14.99. It has quite a lot of helpful info.