Alternative to Power of Attorney?

Anniemw

Jan 27, 2015
My Father in Law died over Christmas, his wife has dementia and has suffered a serious stroke this week, I am executor of his will, we have been told his bank accounts will be frozen and we need to apply for permission to deal with their financial affairs but it is not Power of Attorney, does anyone know what this process is called?

SueShell

Sep 13, 2012
Orpington
My Father in Law died over Christmas, his wife has dementia and has suffered a serious stroke this week, I am executor of his will, we have been told his bank accounts will be frozen and we need to apply for permission to deal with their financial affairs but it is not Power of Attorney, does anyone know what this process is called?

You have to go to probate. This is exactly what happened when my uncle died. He was led to believe the banks etc wouldn't freeze the accounts but they did immediately upon his death so no monies in or out which threw up even more problems for me. Can't remember how much probate cost me, but all they really do is look at the Will, you sign an oath, they give you document for permission to his accounts.