1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Alternative to Power of Attorney?

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Anniemw, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Anniemw

Anniemw Registered User

Jan 27, 2015
    My Father in Law died over Christmas, his wife has dementia and has suffered a serious stroke this week, I am executor of his will, we have been told his bank accounts will be frozen and we need to apply for permission to deal with their financial affairs but it is not Power of Attorney, does anyone know what this process is called?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  3. SueShell

SueShell Registered User

Sep 13, 2012
    Orpington
    You have to go to probate. This is exactly what happened when my uncle died. He was led to believe the banks etc wouldn't freeze the accounts but they did immediately upon his death so no monies in or out which threw up even more problems for me. Can't remember how much probate cost me, but all they really do is look at the Will, you sign an oath, they give you document for permission to his accounts.