alternative remedies

karenweech

Nov 9, 2006
Coventry
hi there, i believe my mum has alzheimers - she has been on aricept for a year & half & has just been prescribed to take Reminyl instead - i would like to explore alternative therapies & was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with any therapies in relation to alzheimers??

many thanks
Karen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Karen, My husband has always believed in Alternative medicine.

We found a highly qualified herbalist on the web, had an interwiew with her and were very impressed by her knowledge. She was absolutely straight with us, telling us she couldn`t work miracles but she might be able to help.

She made up some herbal remedies for my husband, and from Day 1 he felt better. As the months went on, the feeling of well being lessened and he doesn`t want to take the herbs any more.

Whether the herbs had a placebo effect of not, I can`t be sure, but they did help initially.

Why not try a web search, Karen. Good luck, I hope you find what you`re looking for.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Karen, I have sent the email contact of the herbalist by private message. I hope you recieve it as I haven`t done that before. Please let me know if you receive it . Sylvia

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Karen, I read on an AZ website that people with AZ have been found to be deficient in Vitamins E & B12 and Folate- B9.
I was able to buy E & B12, but couldn`t get Folate-B9. I will try to find out more about it but thought you`d be intersested.
Regards, Sylvia

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Karen. Guess what? Folate, Vitamin B9, is Folic Acid. Apparently, B9 and B12 work well together.

I`ve got everything now and will give them a try. They can`t do any harm.

Sylvia

E

Eve G.

There are no "alternative remedies," there are only remedies that work and remedies that don't. Be very wary of ghouls who will prey on the grief-stricken and desperate! Here is a good web site for you to check out before you change meds (and be sure to get second opinions!).

http://www.quackwatch.org/

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would never have the confidence in Alternative Medicine to abandon medical prescription. I do believe it may have a placebo effect. When someone is in despair, s/he may be comforted by the idea there may be benefit from other sources, and I do believe it`s harmless.

BUT

It was Hypnosis that enabled me to stop smoking, with out ANY withdrawal symptoms, after 40 years of addiction, and 10 years of trying to stop. It was Vitamin E that cured excruciating knee pain, which was so bad, there were times my leg wouldn`t take my weight. It has been a regular intake of Garlic tablets, that has stopped me getting several colds every year. It was not possible to take enough raw garlic for the same benefit.

So Eve, I wouldn`t rubbish Alternative remedies blindly. I am well aware there is a thriving Alternative industry which may exploit vulnerable people, but there are similar exploitations in all areas. You only have to look at the Loan Industry for starters.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
On 11th November 2006, after reading there were found to be deficiencies of Vitamins B6, B9/Folic Acid, B12 and E, in Alzheimers patients, I started giving them to my husband.

Even though I have reported deterioration in some of his behaviours, I have to tell you how positive he has been, first thing in the morning, following a good night`s sleep.

For the past week,when he wakes, he tells me his head is clear and he believes he is cured. He is happy, he walks with a spring in his step, no shuffling, and really does seem to feel better about himself.

I know he is not cured, but he definitely begins the day in a different manner, with a clearer and more positive attitude.
During the day, he often tells me how much better his head feels.

As the day goes on, the old symptoms re-appear and evenings are still stressful. But the mornings are definitely easier.

I`m not making any dramatic claims, just sharing with you, how it is.

Thanks for listening. Love Sylvia x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think this is an interesting point. Maybe my experience is just that, my experience, but I do wonder why GP's don't suggest multi-vitamin supplements for elderly people, be they dementia sufferers or not. My mother has come out ouf hospital with a very reduced appetite (although it wasn't great before) and although we're trying fluid meal replacements at the moment, no one has ever suggested that she take additional vitamins. Like a lot of other people, she is much more inclined to eat sweet things rather than other things, and thinking about it, I can not believe that she is eating, or has been eating, a balanced diet nutritionally speaking. In an ideal world, we would all get the vitamins and minerals we need from our well-balanced diet, but we all know it doesn't work like that.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Another point is that as we age our bodies don`t function as well as they did. This could mean we don`t get the full benefit of vitamins and minerals, even with a well balanced diet. So whether or not older people eat less, their bodies may not make full use of all the nutrients from their food. Sylvia

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Accentuate the Positive ...

Thanks for the information ref. dietary supplements in this thread, and feedback on perceived benefits obtained from them.

To my way of thinking, ANY improvement to 12 out of the 24hr day, whether placebo, psychosomatic or real, has got to be in the under-populated "+" column for sufferer and carers alike.

English Lady

Jan 14, 2007
Essex
http://www.library.nhs.uk/mentalhealth/ViewResource.aspx?resID=190164

Try this and if you type "homeopathy for dementia" or just "homeopathy" into Google, it comes up with all sorts of websites with details of registered homeopathists and other more general websites.

Of course, the one above is quite inconclusive but you know what the NHS' attitude is like towards alternative remedies: they might lose revenue!

It seems only a minority of health professionals can see the benefits right now for the above reason.

I have yet to see anyone with dementia being treated with alternative remedies but I intend to find out as much about it as possible for the new home I'm working in.

I've seen people with dementia on diazepam and it's not pretty!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Word of caution

Whilst I have nothing against alternative medicine, homeopathy etc., (far from it!) I would refer anyone coming into this thread to entry #7 on page 1.
The internet, whilst a brilliant resource, can be a bit of a minefield for any unwary novice users.

:eek: As in all walks of life, there are people and businesses around ready to take advantage of those desperate for help.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
English Lady said:
Of course, the one above is quite inconclusive but you know what the NHS' attitude is like towards alternative remedies: they might lose revenue!

It seems only a minority of health professionals can see the benefits right now for the above reason.

I don't think I'd agree with that English Lady. Sure there's a wariness of "quacks" and people wasting lots of money and doing themselves more damage that the NHS will then have to pick up the pieces of. But on the whole my experience is that NHS professionals are very happy for their patients to be off their waiting lists and exploring things that might be helpful to them.

English Lady

Jan 14, 2007
Essex
Of course, everyone's experience is different.

One health authority can be totally different to another. My own experience is that the health professionals I've worked with have poo pooed my preference for alternative remedies.

When I took Arnica tablets before an op, I was viewed by the doctor as a little bit misguided and perhaps even eccentric!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968