"Alternative " remedies

Fozz

Mar 9, 2004
Ipswich
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any information about herbal or other non- drug treatments for any of the symptoms of dementia? I know these can be dodgy because they are not tested in the way prescribed drugs are, but most prescription drugs seem to come with a list of possible side effects as long as your arm!

The symptoms I mean are sleeplessness and agitation/aggression, both of which my Dad has. He has just started on the anti-depressant Zisprin, which has lifted his mood and stopped him getting so emotional. However he does seem more confused and I noticed that this drug is to be used with caution in people with angina which he has. It may be coincidence but he has had an attack since being on the drug, and it was some time since he had suffered with it.

Would be grateful for any comments!

Fozz

John Bottomley

Apr 7, 2004
Complementary therapies

Ginko baloba may be helpful, and probably isn't harmful. A review summarises as :
Ginkgo biloba appears to be safe in use with no excess side effects compared with placebo. Overall there is promising evidence of improvement in cognition and function associated with Ginkgo. However, the three more modern trials show inconsistent results.

Vitamin E hasn't been shown to be helpful, but in one study it did cause rather more people to fall who were taking it.

Although a couple studies looked at Vitamin B6 and B12, they didn't come up with anything helpful to date.

May be best to speak with a reputable and recommended complementary therapist to get some feel for how folks with a lot of experience feel therapies affect people.

Fozz

Mar 9, 2004
Ipswich
Alternative therapies

Thanks for your replies, I have read quite a lot about Gingko Biloba, and it does sound worth a try. I will also look up some complementary therapists locally, and get some advice.
I'll report back on any results, good or bad!

Best wishes

Fozz

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
complimentary Therapies

There has been a review of Gingko Baloba as John says but I know of no published evidence that it improves or retards memory loss?
However it may be worth a try.Good luck
Norman