Allowances

Kencokid

Feb 10, 2020
Hi everyone, my father was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. It's not been easy and it's all a learning curve for me. I am the only child so he has no one else to turn to so in effect, I'm his carer 24/7. Mum died 4 years ago which hasn't helped. What I would like to ask is about allowances that you can get like carers allowance, attendance allowance and discounted council tax but it's not easy as there are so many questions to answer. Apart from what I have already mentioned which I'm looking into is there anything else that I or my father would be entitled too please. Grateful for your advice.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Organisations like Age UK can help with advising you about what benefits your father would be eligible for. They can also help with filling in forms which is a big advantage where it comes to filling in the Attendance Allowance form.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Speak to the local council about exemption for council tax - I delayed doing this as felt very overwhelmed at the time but it was reasonable straight forward from memory. Similarily, Attendance allowance its a long form but once its completed, it all come through pretty quickly. Like some others have said Age UK are really helpful and used to offer face to face appointments to help you fill in forms. I think these type of things feel really overwhelming when you are also bogged down with the day to day care of someone. Its hard to find the time, but once its done - its done.
Good luck

Kencokid

Feb 10, 2020
Organisations like Age UK can help with advising you about what benefits your father would be eligible for. They can also help with filling in forms which is a big advantage where it comes to filling in the Attendance Allowance form.
Thank you.

Kencokid

Feb 10, 2020
Speak to the local council about exemption for council tax - I delayed doing this as felt very overwhelmed at the time but it was reasonable straight forward from memory. Similarily, Attendance allowance its a long form but once its completed, it all come through pretty quickly. Like some others have said Age UK are really helpful and used to offer face to face appointments to help you fill in forms. I think these type of things feel really overwhelming when you are also bogged down with the day to day care of someone. Its hard to find the time, but once its done - its done.
Good luck
Thank you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The first action to take is apply for Attendance Allowance, eligibility for this opens the door to other benefits and allowances.

Getting help from AgeUk or CAB with filling the form in will help enormously with success.

Face to face meetings may not be possible although things may change on 'freedom day', best make an appointment so you get to see the correct person.

You could read through
and
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/b...llowance/help-with-attendance-allowance-form/ .
beforehand and even fill in and print of a copy of the application to take with you to any meeting as a discussion document.

<I like Kenco Rich>

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
Hi everyone, my father was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. It's not been easy and it's all a learning curve for me. I am the only child so he has no one else to turn to so in effect, I'm his carer 24/7. Mum died 4 years ago which hasn't helped. What I would like to ask is about allowances that you can get like carers allowance, attendance allowance and discounted council tax but it's not easy as there are so many questions to answer. Apart from what I have already mentioned which I'm looking into is there anything else that I or my father would be entitled too please. Grateful for your advice.
It also is affected by how old you are, if you work, do you live with the person, and a few other things.