All you wanted to know, but THEY were to afraid to tell you

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
TIME TO TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT DEMENTIA………PART TWO ……………
Things YOU always wanted to know, or SHOULD know about dementia, but THEY were too AFRAID to TELL YOU
Following my post of last week called,
Time to tell the truth about Dementia
Which had over 300 comments in less than an hour worldwide
I, and i am sure many others were horrified around the world to learn that THIS information is not being given out, this is
“” MY ANSWER TO THEM “”
Those with dementia MAY, and I have to STRESS, “” MAY “” show some of these symptoms
1. Confusion and repeated questions are very common, please remember they are not doing this to ” “” WIND YOU UP ” Every time they ask the question it is the very first time they have asked it, according to them.
2. Swearing and Anger, even though they may have never have sworn in their life, they have heard people swear many many times during their lifetime, they know the words and are very familiar with them, so don’t be so shocked, this may be a form of release because their inhibitions have changed.
3. Inhibitions, talking of which, some may start to walk around completely naked in front of others with no conscience whatsoever, they may also start to speak their mind and say exactly what they are thinking and feeling. They may be a lot sharper in tone, than usual, lose their temper so quickly, all born out of frustration.
4. Violence, a very tricky one but has to be spoken about, even the mildest mannered of people MAY lash out at loved ones and strangers at times, they may bite, scratch, nip punch, spit at you, kick out or worse, please remember it’s not them, but the disease.
5. Incontinence, believe it or not SO MANY Drs etc DO NOT talk about this when giving a diagnosis, yes it does happen to all, but to those it does, it has a HUGE effect on everyday life. Always starts with small accidents, small damp patches etc and increases. Please remember the signal from the Bowel./ the bladder has been disrupted and cant tell the brain when they need to pee or poo. In all honesty, if they KNEW what was happening they would be MORTIFIED as would you, SO NO NEED TO CHASTISE AT ALL !!
6. Frustration, Imagine KNOWING you have this disease as in Lewy bodies, and KNOWING there is no cure, no remedies, and the chance is, you will forget ALL that you hold dear but you can do absolutely NOTHING about it. ?? Wanting to scream and shout is a huge understatement and why it often happens for no apparent reason.
7, Speech, the loss of coherent speech is so familiar in some people with dementia, one of the most common is having a conversation with you that make s absolutely no sense whatsoever to you, but please remember, it does to them, and please also REMEBER THIS, if you listen to them very carefully, sometimes, just sometimes you will hear the word “Thirsty” “Hungry” or “Painful ” repeated. This could help you understand a little more.
8, OUTBURSTS, A very important one, this can be caused by noise, or life, in general, being so busy around them, supermarkets shops etc, the volume of peoples voices is sometimes magnified a thousand times to people with dementia so its sounds absolutely deafening causing the person with dementia to shout SHUTUP !! Or worse !! Sometimes causing them to RUN out of the shop and try and escape to only they know where.
9 Wandering, The MOST important thing to remember is, people with dementia never ever get lost!!! THEY know EXACTLY where they are going!! They just haven’t told you !!! They will often try all sorts of tricks to get out of the house, and please don’t be fooled into thinking because of their age or frailty they cant get far. NO ONE KNOWS where they get the strength from to walk such distances but they can, and please dont forget they have bus passes and can use them. We had a lady from Torbay who was found in Scunthorpe thanks to her bus pass, never EVER underestimate those with dementia.
10 Hallucinations, Hallucinations are NOT DREAMS or NIGHT TERRORS lets get that out of the way first.
Hallucinations are usually connected with those who have Lewy Body, but people with Alzheimer’s and particularly vascular dementia because of lack of oxygen to the brain will, or may suffer from these (I will NOT apologise for using the word suffering because if anybody has them like i myself do believe me they are suffering!!) Day or night these can happen, it may, to you, liker they are talking to thermselves or wanting to chase pepole, in some cases they will kick and punch as if shadow boxing, you will not be able to see who they are doing this to? But believe me, it is so VERY REAL To them.
11, NIGHT TERRORS, Imagine your worst fear being played out right in front of your eyes, imagine the horror unfolding in front of you, piercing screams, grotesque faces and being`s, clawing at you, biting you, then multiply this by 100,000 !!! and you have a night Terror. Also, imagine not being able to wake from this as it seems neverending.
Then imagine this happening every 30 mins of every night of every week?? Hard i know but this is how bad it can get.
12. Feelings. This is a tough one, but i have seen with my very own eyes the hurt it brings when you may visit a loved one and they are holding hands, or have arms wrapped around a complete stranger in a care setting and don’t recognize you. You may well have been with this person a LIFETIME but please beware, this happens more regularly than some places care to admit.
13. Spatial awareness Is the person stumbling? Staggering like they are drunk for no apparent reason? Do the FALL “Upstairs” or downstair`s? Banging their toes on doors, beds etc? Are they missing the step down on the pavement, or more importantly walking into the road with no fear of oncoming Traffic?? This is because what you see they don’t, once again the signal from the eyes to the brain is distorted and wavey, this cause to see things very differently and miss the most important bits, very similar to having blind spots for all you drivers out there.
14 LOSS of APPETITE ?? or NOT ?? because of that signal (ONCE AGAIN) to the brain from the stomach and eye`s not working properly some with Dementia may want to eat more as they have forgotten they have just had their meal. “What if they eat a lot? i hear you cry? “They must feel full I hear you say” but HOW can they feel full if the signals not working and they still feel starving ?? So you see, not their fault, they are not at fault at all because of this awful disease.Then there is the quandry of those not eating or drinking enough. this can be caused by many things but sometimes it really is just a case of putting water into a yellow cup or container, placing a small meal on a yellow plate instead of white and doing the same with tea and coffee.People with dementia can sometimes see right through clear glasses and don’t see whats in front of them, we have p[roof this works on our other website
15. Sundowning !!! And LAST but Certainly not LEAST? SUNDOWNING !! I would personally put this on the school curriculum if i had the chance !! Sundowning is easier to understand than you think, it does exactly what it says on the tin !! AS the sun goes down the person with dementia gets worse, becomes more confused, more agitated and more frustrated, it really is as simple as that !! And what is, even more, simpler to help you and others including professionals, is to, QUITE SIMPLY change all their appointments with Drs, dentist, podiatrists , consultants etc, to MORNING Appointments so the person with dementia is in a better place, its a lots easier on you to manage and the Drs etc don’t have a hard time treating then either, you see? its not that difficult is it ??
These are just 15 points of what you MAY come to expect after a diagnosis of dementia, WHY don’t they tell you this ? and WHY has it taken so long to be told this? especially by a person who is LIVING with this disease ?? I have NO IDEA !!
But what i do hope is you all read this, share this, copy and paste this and print it out and put it in every Drs surgery in the UK /World for all to see, it’s not a state secret, and those who don’t want to know won’t read it
Very best wishes, Norrms Mc Namara (Diagnosed with dementia 9 years ago and trying to help)

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Norrms for such a wonderful thread l have Bookmarked it for reference.
Its good to hear from you. l do not look at TP much these days, my husband has been in a CH for 2yrs now, life is such a struggle for him and me, but life goes on we must make to most of the rest of our lives. Best Wishes to you and your family Pamann xxx

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I read your post this morning @Norrms and meant to reply...but have been flying all day. Thank you for explaining so much, and so well. I’m a bit short tempered at the moment with a severe lack of sleep...but this will help me to be more patient and understanding.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya Carmar, please feel free to download, print off and take to all your local Drs , thank you for your kind words x

Shroomie

Dec 2, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi Norrms,
Thank you for your personal insight, I'm just one in many very grateful for that. Unfortunately, I missed your part one and wonder if you can tell me where I may be able to locate it, please? My mum has Alzheimer's, 2 years since diagnosis and she has a lot of the symptoms in your part 2 account.
I did read the 7 stages when she was first diagnosed and was surprised/heartbroken to see the symptoms usually associated with the later stages.
No worries if part one can't be accessed any more, but thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Shroomie x

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Norrms thank you so much for this, I often wonder what my little Mum is thinking, feeling or seeing when she is staring abstractedly in to a corner.
She was never one to share her troubles and it upsets me wondering if she's ok or if she's suffering and can't tell me as she can no longer speak very well.

You are so unselfish and brave sharing this, look after yourself and thank you again.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hi Norrms,
Thank you for your personal insight, I'm just one in many very grateful for that. Unfortunately, I missed your part one and wonder if you can tell me where I may be able to locate it, please? My mum has Alzheimer's, 2 years since diagnosis and she has a lot of the symptoms in your part 2 account.
I did read the 7 stages when she was first diagnosed and was surprised/heartbroken to see the symptoms usually associated with the later stages.
No worries if part one can't be accessed any more, but thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Shroomie x

Thank you so much Shroomie, just trying to help xx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Norrms thank you so much for this, I often wonder what my little Mum is thinking, feeling or seeing when she is staring abstractedly in to a corner.
She was never one to share her troubles and it upsets me wondering if she's ok or if she's suffering and can't tell me as she can no longer speak very well.

You are so unselfish and brave sharing this, look after yourself and thank you again.

Thank you Prudence, always welcome xxxxx

Mrnkar

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you so much. My dad has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, although for a few years now there has been a question mark that he may have had Lewy Body Dementia.
He still has capacity but is showing lots of the things you mention.
He is in hospital at the moment and even although he is in an elderly ward, they don't seem to understand that his behaviour is due to dementia and basically ignore him.
He doesn't eat or drink much as he is on thickened fluids, but hates them and also the fortified drinks but they let him get dehydrated and also pneumonia. It was only when the family talked to a Dr at the hospital, regarding his treatment that they put him on a drip and antibiotics.
I can't get to the hospital as much as I'd like but a friend visits him more and I speak to him on the phone regularly.
It is so distressing to see this and the fact they were saying he was medically fit for discharge to 24hr nursing care while all the symptoms of these 2 things happening were evident.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you so much. My dad has recently been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, although for a few years now there has been a question mark that he may have had Lewy Body Dementia.
He still has capacity but is showing lots of the things you mention.
He is in hospital at the moment and even although he is in an elderly ward, they don't seem to understand that his behaviour is due to dementia and basically ignore him.
He doesn't eat or drink much as he is on thickened fluids, but hates them and also the fortified drinks but they let him get dehydrated and also pneumonia. It was only when the family talked to a Dr at the hospital, regarding his treatment that they put him on a drip and antibiotics.
I can't get to the hospital as much as I'd like but a friend visits him more and I speak to him on the phone regularly.
It is so distressing to see this and the fact they were saying he was medically fit for discharge to 24hr nursing care while all the symptoms of these 2 things happening were evident.

You are so very welcome my friend xx