All very new

6FNAUTICLUB

Dec 26, 2015
We have only recently had a diagnosis for my 85 year old mother in law, she has mixed dementia, vascular and Alzheimer's, the Alzheimer's is affecting her co-ordination and mobility and could be contributing to her poor sight. She lives alone but has carers 3 times a day, I, more, than my husband have found this quite daunting, probably because I'm more involved in her care, taking her to appointments, making sure everything is ok, and I am the one that she contacts day or night if anything is wrong.

What I've realised from being on here and reasearching Alzheimer's, is nobody's journey is the same but everyone is there for each other, but it's hard to know what is round the corner, apart from mobility, mums short term memory seems to be failing by the day, she is now on Memantine, increasing dose every 7 days currently on 15mg, next week up to 20mg.

One thing ive noticed over last six months is that she stashes dirty pants under a cushion on her chair and uses them to blow her nose on and on Xmas Day actually used them as a serviette! Previously I've mentioned it but she just laughed, is this part of the illness?

As I say we seem to be in the early stages, it's the not knowing what's next that gets to me because I like to plan and know what's what and with this it seems no one can really tell you.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

I find the lack of control difficult. I never know if I'm dealing with mr grumpy, mr vile, mr ok or mr happy from one visit to the next.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum uses knickers to blow her nose and also her hat! She produced some knickers out of her handbag and blew her nose on them in the middle of a crowed cafe :eek:
"Hiding" dirty knickers is very common because they dont know what to do with them. Sometimes mum puts hers in the bin and I have heard of some people who flush them down the toilet.

Kazza B

Oct 26, 2015
Australia
My Dad has a better idea, he just empties the bedroom draws, takes all the underwear out, then he puts the used plastic pants into the draw, that way no one can see them. We do have a rubbish bin in his room, I don't think he sees it, unless he wants to throw his shoes away.

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
We have only recently had a diagnosis for my 85 year old mother in law, she has mixed dementia, vascular and Alzheimer's, the Alzheimer's is affecting her co-ordination and mobility and could be contributing to her poor sight. She lives alone but has carers 3 times a day, I, more, than my husband have found this quite daunting, probably because I'm more involved in her care, taking her to appointments, making sure everything is ok, and I am the one that she contacts day or night if anything is wrong.

What I've realised from being on here and reasearching Alzheimer's, is nobody's journey is the same but everyone is there for each other, but it's hard to know what is round the corner, apart from mobility, mums short term memory seems to be failing by the day, she is now on Memantine, increasing dose every 7 days currently on 15mg, next week up to 20mg.

One thing ive noticed over last six months is that she stashes dirty pants under a cushion on her chair and uses them to blow her nose on and on Xmas Day actually used them as a serviette! Previously I've mentioned it but she just laughed, is this part of the illness?

As I say we seem to be in the early stages, it's the not knowing what's next that gets to me because I like to plan and know what's what and with this it seems no one can really tell you.

It's certainly a familiar scenario for me, with my Dad. Not much you can do about it, really, except be on the lookout for dirty pants!

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Eau de Tena...

...and I have heard of some people who flush them down the toilet.

That'd be my mum.

The care home, bless them, didn't even tell me until I remarked on the second new carpet in her room, as apparently she caused another flood.

She also used to dry out pads on the radiator to reuse them whilst she was still home alone, and the ammonia used to make my eyes water as I opened the door. :eek:

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
MIL hangs hers knickers over her linen basket and tells me off when I take them to wash as she could have worn them again , better still another common thing I think? is used rolled up tenna ladies behind her cushion on her chair up to 4 a day, often rolled in her daily newspaper ,though not always!! pretty sure the last audiologist appointment letter went that way which is what I told the very nice audiologist when she phoned wondeing where we were , she saw the funnyside and will put my name on future corrspondence ,until she starts opening our post too!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
OH is still fussy about not doing anything uncouth, as she calls it, so I would be shocked if she started using knickers as hankerchiefs. She does stash pants and pads behind the toilet in the middle of the night so have to go in after her and tidy up, usually have to go myself anyway so just adds another little job while there. Her habit of occasionally stuffing half a loo roll down the toilet does require a little extra care to be taken on these journeys. Ah, the joys of caring for someone with dementia.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR