All over body pain with dementia

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
After a chest infection, Mum seems to have dropped down a stage. She appears ro have become very sensitive to being touched and screams in pain. The nurse says this is part of dementia. I am going to make sure they get the doc in anyway but I wonder if anyone has experience of this and if anything helped with it? Did it last forever or as a phase? Mum has not been diagnosed with it but I suspect it may be Lewys body type. Any thoughts on this problem welcome please.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. My mum had mixed dementia AD and VaD.
In time mums pain threshold became very low. What she would have shrugged off or not even thought of as being painful became agony . Mum was riddled with Arthritis so I ensured she had a paracetamol daily as prescribed. So I thought all was ok turned out it wasn't :(.
Mum couldn't actually let us know she was in pain other than by crying or yelling , it turned out that some of her Sundowning was caused by pain.
Once on regular pain relief throughout the day my mum was a much happier bunny.
In time mum needed pain patches and I gave paracetamol during the day to deal with breakthrough pain.

IMO when a person like your mum is reacting as though she is in pain, it is real to her and most upsetting for you too.
Perhaps your mum has Arthritis and is not being given enough or any meds for pain.

I am glad you are ensuring a GP is called in.
We know our caree's much better than anyone else .
Personally I hate it when some professionals put everything down to Dementia .
Listen to your instincts

Last edited:

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
After a chest infection, Mum seems to have dropped down a stage. She appears ro have become very sensitive to being touched and screams in pain. The nurse says this is part of dementia. I am going to make sure they get the doc in anyway but I wonder if anyone has experience of this and if anything helped with it? Did it last forever or as a phase? Mum has not been diagnosed with it but I suspect it may be Lewys body type. Any thoughts on this problem welcome please.

Hi!..my dad has dementia with lewy bodies...and his perceptions are completely shot...and what he likes dislikes or pains him..can change from hour to hour and minute to minute...certain things upset him..certain situations and places can panick him...he very awkward mobility wise..like a thunderbird...its the parkinsonian symptoms of the dementia...he cant percievw 3d shapes..misses steps walk into things...I would imagine that if your joint act flippy floppy or awkward..they might feel heavy or sore..but I know my dads perceptions are not right...diagnosis is important so that you know what your dealing with..best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My dad for a long while has struggled with pains. Some genuine like a painful hernia indigestion and dodgy knees but sometimes it is because he either wants attention or because he can't always articulate something unrelated uses dramatic and tearful moments to try. In his mind he may even bwlieve he does have those pains alongside genuine ones....who knows. His nursing home are becoming quite good at reading him...are always watchful...assume genuine pain until it goes away or he is distracted....but it is a minefield to decipher what's what and just the way dads dementia has always presented. He has vasc and probably one other type and was like it at home with us.:confused:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
many thanks for your comments. The pain thing has taken a different turn for now. She ended up in A and E today and turns out she has broken her hip after a fall but could still walk on it. She broke the other one a year ago. So now at 97 she is having a hip op tomorrow, after 12 hours on a trolley in A and E today. Not great, she thinks there is nothing wrong with her hip. I dread what another op will do to her. Not a good time.:(

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Wishing your mum every good wish for a good recovery and for you too. You must both be drained after A&E ordeal and all that it entails.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Well, there you go.

She had broken her hip but at 97 could still walk on it.

No cries and entreaties should be ignored...ever.

Paracetamols should be given on a daily basis to ease the aches and pains of a body that doesn't work and to ease the headache caused by being cared for.

I hope her pain has eased and she is comfortable.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Your poor Mum having such an op at 97 - I do hope it goes well. I hope the nurse who just put the pain down to dementia is suitable embarrassed and will not make the same mistake again.

Good luck with helping your Mum to cope after the op.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks all for comments. mum got through the op okay. She had to have the other hip done last year after a fall. She got over the op fine but that was when her dementia kicked in. i fear for now the anaesthetic will affect her this time. had a long chat with the anaesthetist about what would be best, as it is possible to do a hip replacement via the spine while awake but the fear is she would try to move, you would have to be v compliant to have that. So in a few days I will see what effect it has had on her. i dread her having gone downhill further.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Oh dear your poor mum and how worrying for you
I am pleased that dads nursing home take all his pains seriously and check him even if they seem to be phantom. Hope she recovers well.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Gosh, she's a strong lady your Mum. Built to last :)

I hope your fears are unfounded, she suffers no setbacks from the anaesthetic and recovers well.
Dreadfully worrying time for you.