All alone

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
We are awaiting a diagnosis of dementia for my friend who is 58 years old. I am very concerned as she lives on her own and has no family. And only a few friends, none of whom know each other. What on earth can I do to help? I feel devastated at the potential diagnosis but looking back over the past 3 years, it should not have come as such a shock. Is there any help out there for her? Who will look after her well-being? She is very scared about the future. I live north of the border if that makes a difference to available support.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello Cherryade and welcome to TP. I'm another one from north of the border!

It's so good that your friend has you to think of her. I'm glad you found TP as I'm sure you'll find it helpful and in turn that will help your friend.

Do you think your friend would allow to go along to support her when she goes to the GP etc? I'm sure that will be of great help to her.

Once she has a diagnosis she will be entitled to a year's post diagnisis support. It is explained in this page from the Alzheimer Scotland website -

http://www.alzscot.org/campaigning/five_pillars

Again it would be useful if you could be present when your friend meets with the post diagnostic team worker. I have found Alzheimer Scotkand to be a great help. I hope you and your friend do too.

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
Well I have just been with my friend for a cat scan. Will that give a definitive answer or is there more tests to do?

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi Cherryade, and welcome to TP, I'm another Scot....you will find much needed help and advice here and maybe a friend or two to share.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
From another Scot - I found Alzheimer Scotland a great source of information and encouragement. In the early days after diagnosis the Link worker and later the CPN were also most helpful. Tell your friend to take up every offer even if at the moment she feels she doesn't need it. The contacts you make in the early stages can be really useful when things get tough at a later date.

Now at a mid/early late stage with my husband I do call on these people for advice as new social workers don't really know us from the early days and only see John as he is now.

I'm glad your friend has you. Well done.

Moray05

Aug 20, 2015
Central Scotland
Hi cherryade
Another scot here, usually the scan is the last thing to happen to ensure nothing else is wrong which means if not, diagnosis will be some form of dementia. Encourage your friend to get involved with as many organisations as poss to keep her socially involved, even at this early stage (will help in long run), CPN will advise on these in her area. She's lucky to have you, take care xx

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
Thank you all so much. I did find the fact sheet very helpful. I guess we are at the start of a long and scary road. I have just been very worried at the fast rate of change in her in the past 6 months. If it continues at this rate I am not sure she will be able to be independent so what happens then? That is a bridge to be crossed in the very distant future I hope.
Thanks again.