Alcohol

Pinkfizz

Jan 3, 2017
My mum with Alzheimer's has always "liked a drink" she has had difficulty all my life recognising when she's had enough and gets drunk easily.
Latterly since her diagnosis she has resorted to wine because she feels so low ( she is physically disabled too)
But she doesn't seem to know how much she is drinking usually a whole bottle of wine at a time sometimes more than one bottle.
She then often rings my brother and I in the evening saying she feels odd but obviously drunk.
We do all her shopping usually in line and have been getting her a couple of bottles with her shop but she often asks me to buy more and I have just discovered she gets her carers to buy wine too. We have now put a stop to this.
Last night she fell and she can't get up when she is down so I went round to help her and she had drunk a bottle and a half in 24 hours. I lost the plot
Today I have had a chat about alcohol as she was more alert and she agrees she's not going to buy any more (well that's easy as she can't shop) but we'll see
Has anyone else experienced this?
I am angry with her with me with the situation but also concerned as she puts herself in more danger and I also feel bad for taking away a pleasure.

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
This may not help the big problem but could you buy her low alcohol wine? Taste and look are the same but at around 4% alcohol as opposed to 10-12%?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Pinkfizz
Cherryade has already written pretty much what I was going to
sadly, your mum isn't able any longer to take in any explanations, or warnings, and she definitely won't connect her drinking alcohol with her feeling bad - so it's down to you to manage her consumption
she probably won't notice any difference in the taste, so find some alcohol free wine (I just did an internet search and it is out there) and stock her up on that - if she'll look at the label, decant it into a suitable empty screw top bottle (collect a few yourself so you have a supply?) - maybe even use grape juice or flavoured lemonade/soda for sparkling wine - added benefit = she will be better hydrated
and get rid of any other alcohol in her house
I'm disappointed that the carers bought her wine - you say you've put a stop to that, so I hope you mentioned it to their manager - I'd be annoyed if dad's carers had bought anything for him without checking with me
best wishes

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My husband liked to drink and when he stopped we found an alcohol free wine shop on line which was ok but he preferred an alcohol free brand that you can buy in supermarket. I have tried the three they make - a red cabernet, a white and a rose and they aren't bad - particularly the cabernet which is what he has.