Alcohol Related Brain Damage...

Kittycat10

Jan 19, 2020
Hi, I came across this group this evening and I'm looking for some advice - apologies for the long post and if some information is irrelevant to this group.
A little background to my dad.. He's always been a big drinker. The last (?) 6 years have been worse for drinking, no known trigger factor.
We lost my gran (his mum) last year and I knew this would trigger a spiral so sought advise from an alcohol support group. I managed to get my dad to agree to this and we went along together. I live 60+ miles away but am assured he has been attending his weekly/bi-monthly meetings with his support, backed up by my sister who lives closer.
There has been a change in his memory over the years, with the last year or two definitely worsening. My sister has access to his bank and can see he will lift small and large amounts of money several times in a day, almost as though he forgets he has been. He does keeps the wrong company who abuse his giving and supporting nature (albeit to the wrong people...) so frequently complains he has no money and asks my sister and I to bail him out.
He forgets he's told a story, or even that he has called me and had a long conversation, and the last couple of weeks he has forgotten to collect my niece or sister up. He does acknowledge memory worsening when he's trying to tell you a story but can't get the words out... It's hard to distinguish what's drunken behaviour or if there is some ARBD happening (likely with his years of drinking).
Has anyone else been through this or similar who can maybe shed some light on what action you have taken to support or deal with this?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @Kittycat10. That your dad is struggling with his memory and possibly being taken advantage of is worrying for you, and you will find help and support here. It may be worth contacting his local social services and writing to his GP with your concerns too.
I don't know much about alcohol related dementia, but these factsheets should help give you an idea of what it is and how to get a diagnosis.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/worried-about-memory-problems
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/alcohol-related-brain-damage

Shyness143

Jan 23, 2020
cocoa fl
Hi, I came across this group this evening and I'm looking for some advice - apologies for the long post and if some information is irrelevant to this group.
A little background to my dad.. He's always been a big drinker. The last (?) 6 years have been worse for drinking, no known trigger factor.
We lost my gran (his mum) last year and I knew this would trigger a spiral so sought advise from an alcohol support group. I managed to get my dad to agree to this and we went along together. I live 60+ miles away but am assured he has been attending his weekly/bi-monthly meetings with his support, backed up by my sister who lives closer.
There has been a change in his memory over the years, with the last year or two definitely worsening. My sister has access to his bank and can see he will lift small and large amounts of money several times in a day, almost as though he forgets he has been. He does keeps the wrong company who abuse his giving and supporting nature (albeit to the wrong people...) so frequently complains he has no money and asks my sister and I to bail him out.
He forgets he's told a story, or even that he has called me and had a long conversation, and the last couple of weeks he has forgotten to collect my niece or sister up. He does acknowledge memory worsening when he's trying to tell you a story but can't get the words out... It's hard to distinguish what's drunken behaviour or if there is some ARBD happening (likely with his years of drinking).
Has anyone else been through this or similar who can maybe shed some light on what action you have taken to support or deal with this?
Yes, my nan was a heavy drinker look up "korsakoff syndrome....