alcohol dementia/korsakoffs

sarzy

Jul 30, 2005
middlesbrough,cleveland
i recently found out that my dad has this condition{after he broke his foot}when he was in hospital they did a brain scan,and was wondering if anyone had any advice for me,My dad is currently living with me having been told he cannot go back home,but was told it would only be for now,so im unsure of where he will live in the long run,Ihad to have a meeting in the hospital to convince them he will be better off with me for now,and it was difficult as the phsyciatrist wanted him in a care home there and then,{My dad thinks there is nothing wrong with his head,}my dads condition was 30 yrs chronic alcoholism,and this is the longest he has ever been off the drink {5 weeks so far}so i am unsure of what will be the best for him in the long run.could anyone tell me what alcohol dementia/korsakoffs means,does this progress ect,any info would be gratefully recieved......sarzy

carol

Jun 24, 2004
Surrey/Hampshire
Hello,

I can't help you directly with your problem, but have you read factsheet no. 438 which is to do with korsakoffs.

Go back to the main home page, and select 'factsheet' from across the top of the page, you will then be given a list of factsheets, select 438.

Best wishes.

Carol

sarzy

Jul 30, 2005
middlesbrough,cleveland
thanks

thanks for your message,the info was gratefully recieved,Iam still hoping to find people who knows about korsakoffs,it gets so difficult sometimes,my ads memory loss has gotten so ad,,,thanks again :)

MrT

Sep 13, 2007
someone with Korsakoff's has started a website which is http://www.korsakoffs.com

sometimes it's down for maintenance because he hasn't really got enough bandwidth for the amount of visits his site gets - so if anyone wants to help him to pay for a faster connection, I'm sure he'll be grateful!