alcohol and dementia

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Hi,

I've been told by our consultant that she thinks that my OH's young-onset dementia may have been triggered by alcohol. I'm puzzled by this as he has not been a heavy drinker throughout his life. There have been times when he has drunk quite a lot, perhaps in his 20s, but he's never had a problem with alcohol or been alcohol-dependent, to my knowledge. Most of the information I am finding about this indicates that it's a problem for long-term heavy drinkers, and that the problems might be as much triggered by vitamin B1 deficiency, as a result poor diet in problem drinkers who do not look after themselves as a consequence. He doesn't fit this profile. Has anyone else had experience of this where their LO has not fitted this kind of profile? I'd really like to find some evidence and understand what questions I should be asking as to what, in his presentation, brings her to this conclusion.

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks I have read that but it doesn't seem relevant to him. He's not a long term heavy drinker and nobody is suggesting he might be able to make a full or partial recovery with the right treatment.

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks all, I'm not aware of any MRI scans etc recently. He had one when he was first diagnosed and another about a year later when he was on a clinical trial. But nothing was mentioned at the time. I will ask the consultant for further information.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Does the Consultant know his current level, and past(10years+) alcohol consumption?
How does his current level compare to Government Guide lines? Higher/ lower?
Could he get alcohol without you knowing?
Be prepared to ask the Consultant, if he is reading from the correct set of notes!

Bod

Ma May

Sep 14, 2018
Bournemouth, Dorset
My husbands original diagnosis was that of frontotemporal based on scans and tests. He was sent for a SPECT scan to confirm. Nothing was shown on scan so felt it was too early to be seen. He too drank through his 20s and because he was drinking a couple of pints a night this was over the recommended limit and they also diagnosed early onset with alcohol related brain damage and discounted frontotemporal. I also looked at symptoms and they simply did not add up as he also has a good diet. He now drinks nothing. He speech and language has deteriorated significantly since diagnosis last June along with memory. I am awaiting next appointment with consultant with interest! I know your thread is from 2018 but as it was the same as my husbands I thought I would share with you

Bridgirl53

Jan 28, 2019
My husband was finally diagnosed with alcohol related dementia last year, previous to his problems started he had a job requiring a extremely good memory with no problems. I knew he had a drink occasionally but I never saw him drunk. I have since realised he was what was called a high functioning alcoholic secretly drinking, hiding drink in the garage etc. I felt so stupid when i realised what had really been going on.We never really know anyone completely.

tss502

Oct 20, 2014
Hi all,

Subsequently the consultant withdrew this diagnosis, once I queried it further. Turned out my OH had said something about 'self-medicating with alcohol' due to stress of memory problems, when he had met with the original memory consultant back before his diagnosis. This had been recorded in his notes. The consultant subsequently felt she had jumped to conclusions. I guess we won't really ever definitively know. I think he presents more as frontotemporal but they haven't suggested that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet