Alarm pendants

Mands68

Jul 29, 2017
Hello, looking for recommendations for Fall alarm dectors. Plenty companies on the market. I have 82year mum who was diagnosed with early onset dementia /alzheimer's.shes reasonable fit however she had a fall, luckly only a sprained ankle..so I'm looking at an alarm to be fitted.
Anyone happy with their alarms??

Thank you Amanda.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Your first port of call should be social services. Their teleare team have a range of trackers and alarms, and if he is assessed as needing one, he should get it free of charge.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello and welcome to TP. My late Mum had a call care system ( with door alarm and neck pendant) supplied for a moderate rent from her Local Adult Social Care Dept. Ask your Social Worker for advice.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Would your mum know what to do with the button on the alarm pendant/wrist thingy?

My mum had a wrist gadget which was supposed to trigger automatically if she fell. It didn't, and she didn't press the call button manually so was found by her morning carer on the floor. No fracture or any other sprain/bruise so the only explanation was that she kind of slid down rather than falling direct from a height or fainting.

Make sure you understand how any system is supposed to work and get your mum to practice with it regularly by making a test alarm call. The operators in mum's local area actively encouraged this. Maybe there is a better chance then that she'll be able to use it when needed for real.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
When Mum lived on her own she had an alarm pendant - but when she fell in the evening and fractured her pelvis in 3 places she: 'didn't want to be a bother as it was in the evening'. Several sources have told me that this is a very common phenomenon and my MIL is just the same.

Once she was in Assisted Living with all the pull cords etc - she rarely used the system and poked all the cords out of the way ... each visit I made them all accessible, only for her to put them all back again as soon as I left.

Now in a CH she still is vague about the push button call system, although we have talked her through it umpteen times ...

These things are great - but only if they are used!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC