Alan has forgotten how to make tea

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Wendy

It was nice to hear from you Wendy and I hope you have a wonderful holiday. 16 days to ours and I can't wait. I know it will be different because it's the first holiday I've had where it is not a complete holiday - i'm a carer and will have to be extra alert. It sounds like it will be the same for you but I'm determined to adjust myself to fit the situation(s) that arise.

as you say does it mean this is the next stage and what will happen next?
I didn't realise I'd said that this meant it was the next stage! I don't think it is - I think it's part of the illness and whilst there are good days and bad days I can cope. It's when the good days disappear that I will class it as the next stage. We've no idea what will happen next but I refuse to think about it, I'll think about it when I have to.

I must admit that every time something new happens I get really scared but people on Talking Point have helped me get grounded again into some reality. I really do believe if it wasn't for this site I would be extremely anxious. There is something very therapeutic about being in contact with people who seem to remain calm and don't fuel the anxiety - it's because of these people that I enjoy Alan to the full rather than spending the time worrying about things. I'm sure a time will come when it won't be so easy but until then.....................:)

Again Wendy have a lovely holiday - let someone else make the tea:)

Love Helen

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Sarah

I used to use memory aids with Alan. He needed it to be able to use his stereo and mobile phone but he did lose the ability to follow even those instructions. But it was great whilst it lasted. Now he can't use a mobile phone at all and he can use another music centre that I've bought him but only the record playing part of it and even then I have to remind him by showing him what to do. He does then do it though :)

Thanks Sarah

Love Helen

wedge

Jan 14, 2008
egham surrey
Hi Helen,

Sorry about the quote "next stage" I got muddled with another thread.

Thank you for you good wishes for our holiday, we are very lucky to have some good friends going with us,to calm me down on any bad days!

I hope your holiday goes well also. Something you said about enjoying Alan to the full really made me think. You are so right, I have been focusing on the things Bob can't do and not on the lovely man that he still is. Thank you

Best wishes

Wendy

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi again Wendy

I think you are really lucky to be able to have a holiday with good friends. Hopefully this will mean that you'll get some breaks from the constant state of alert that is needed when our husbands are somewhere unfamiliar. I have no one to go with us and have had to make do with an engraved dog tag in case Alan gets lost (he's never got lost here) but I have no experience of what might happen out of these circumstances.

I am really delighted for you to be able to have good friends to help you both.

Hope you'll keep us posted when you get back. I'd like to hear all about it.

Love and best wishes

Helen

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Wendy & Helen, Have a wonderful time

Have a good hoilday, both of you, and your hubbies.
Love Barb & Ron

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Barb and Ron

Talking about holidays, how are your plans going? You Barb are so ready for a holiday and I was delighted to read about Ron's good result from his MOT. Do you find yourself fantasising about sun, sand and cheerful natures - good food too? Somehow the planning stage can be the better part because we can make it just how we like :D In my fantasy Alan is enjoying the swimming as much as I do because I like lots of time in the water snorkelling. In reality he probably wont spend much time in the water at all. So I hope you are enjoying this stage of your holiday.

Love to you both

Helen

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I remember very well,in the early days of my Peg's illness how she used to make tea in the kettle.
Another one was turning the mixer taps right round so that the water ran every where.We also regulary lost the switch off the dimmer for the lights.
It wa always Mr Nobody of course.
Is he still around?Haven't heard of him lately
Norman

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Norman,
You have not heard him around much because he has been living in my house until Peter went into E.M.I. Unit !!!!!
Do hope your feeling better
Love and best wishes
Christine

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Helen
Perhap's I am living in cloud coocko land
Maybe that is it.
WE, will go on holiday. But it will have to be September now, (that is when we go each year)
I need to build Ron up a bit, walking wise.
And, save a bit more money. Even though the loan, is as we speak in my bank account. Car hire, extra this that and the other. Military operation this time.:D But the planning will be worth it.
Barb X