Agitation worse early evening? Reverting to an old routine?

blueyorkie

Dec 30, 2013
Hi my dad who is 69 was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2009, although there had been small signs for a few years before. Up until a year ago he was reasonable, just lots of repeating and poor memory, but able to converse and be understood. He has deteriorated from this significantly, getting very confused, anxious and more verbally aggressive. More recently he is getting very unsettled around early evening and wont go to bed at a reasonable time I think it may be connected to some elements of sun downing, but also that he used to work nights as a London cabbie. Early evening was his time to get ready for work and he used to leave around 7.30pm and work til the early hours. I'm wondering if this old routine has returned to his mind, as he goes in and out of the house to check his car all evening, asks my mum where she has to go and refuses to go to bed, puts his coat on and says he is going to drive to certain places. He doesn't do this but gets verbally aggressive and very confused. Ive asked my mum to try certain tactics, reassurance, delaying and distraction, I can't be sure of her communication skills, but both are getting distressed and having late nights. Anyone else have any similar experiences and if so how has it been managed?

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
It does sound as if he thinks he must be working and your mum is a potential fare. Perhaps she could tell him he does not need to work tonight as he's off duty/on leave etc? Then maybe use something else as a distraction perhaps a favourite film, cup of tea and snack or such like. I know lack of sleep combined with agitated behaviour is very trying.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
This is quite a difficult situation as your Dad worked nights. My Husband (ex school teacher) used to say he was off to work but it was fairly easy to stop him as I used to say 'it's dark there won't be anyone there at the moment' Why don't you do some lesson preparation instead'. He used to sit at his desk and tear up loads of paper-but that was ok:rolleyes:

Could your Mum say your Dad's boss has phoned and he has to do a day shift the next day? She could also tell him he needs a good night's sleep as he will be busy at work.

Please make sure the car keys are kept away from him at all times.

Take care

Lyn T