Agitated Dementia sufferer

spynage

Apr 12, 2018
Hi. I'm 44 and live with my mother 83 who has quite advanced dementia. She's been in and out of care homes for the last few years but My sister and I have elected to have her cared for at home with help from the NHS and a live in carer. This has improved the situation for everyone and especially my mother,

To cut a long story short we are really struggling with her level of agitation. She simply shouts all day. You wouldn;t believe it and it must be extremely tiring for her. She has exhibited this behaviour alot since her dementia worsened. We have always put it down to her thyroid supplement that seems to increase her agitation. However if we reduce the dose the blood tests come back as low thyroid and also her general condition seems to deteriorate slightly.

She is on risperidone 0.5mcg daily. We need a change. We don't like the risperidone anymore. It seems to make her cry more and she is drooling alot lately. Has anyone else faced this situation and can they recommend any other medications that might work? We are thinking anti depressents? Or would anti anxiety meds be more suitable?

Would be great to hear your insights.

Thanks

Sinclair

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @spynage
it really does sound as though you need a discussion with your mum's GP, and consultant if she has one ... meds affect each person differently, so what has worked in any other member's situation may not be suitable for your mum
certainly my dad benefitted from anti-depression meds and later also some for his anxiety ... but I followed his medics advice and some tweaks were needed at times

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hi @spynage - I've no advice but am interested in the replies to this. My dad has tried two different meds for his anxiety/aggression but to be honest they haven't been very successful. The first one made him even more aggressive. Mum's in discussions with the doctor but they're at the stage where they've only just upped the dosage to see if that works (to no effect yet). I really want to get this sorted because mum can't carry on with his aggression and agitation.

Kat loves milk tray

Jan 1, 2019
Hi @spynage - I've no advice but am interested in the replies to this. My dad has tried two different meds for his anxiety/aggression but to be honest they haven't been very successful. The first one made him even more aggressive. Mum's in discussions with the doctor but they're at the stage where they've only just upped the dosage to see if that works (to no effect yet). I really want to get this sorted because mum can't carry on with his aggression and agitation.
My Dad becomes aggitated and aggressive towards my mum and unfortunately we had to place Dad in a care home as it got too much for my mum to care for Dad. Mum was at risk of serious harm.
Dad is prescribed Trazadone 50mg and has Lorazepam as and when required. He still becomes aggressive with this medication and will lash out at the carers.
Psychiatrist would not prescribe an anti psychotic such as risperdone due to the risks associated with it such as falls. My Dad is still mobile and paces about in the care home.
It is very difficult to manage when they become aggressive and it is not something we have managed to sort .

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
My Dad becomes aggitated and aggressive towards my mum and unfortunately we had to place Dad in a care home as it got too much for my mum to care for Dad. Mum was at risk of serious harm.
Dad is prescribed Trazadone 50mg and has Lorazepam as and when required. He still becomes aggressive with this medication and will lash out at the carers.
Psychiatrist would not prescribe an anti psychotic such as risperdone due to the risks associated with it such as falls. My Dad is still mobile and paces about in the care home.
It is very difficult to manage when they become aggressive and it is not something we have managed to sort .
I'm so sorry to hear that Kat. It's so difficult isn't it. I always think these symptoms are the worst combination anyone could come up with - the aggression makes an already difficult situation so much more difficult! Are there other meds that they can try for your dad, or is that unfortunately all the psychiatrist will do?

Kat loves milk tray

Jan 1, 2019
I'm so sorry to hear that Kat. It's so difficult isn't it. I always think these symptoms are the worst combination anyone could come up with - the aggression makes an already difficult situation so much more difficult! Are there other meds that they can try for your dad, or is that unfortunately all the psychiatrist will do?
Unfortunately it’s all they will offer. It’s definitely a rollercoaster ride caring for a pwd.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976